Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accubond vs. etip
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 300 win. short mag and my current load is for 150 grain accubonds. 760 powder is used.

I have done some research and see that the mid level for powder on the accubond bullets is recommended as the max. powder used for the e-tip's. Several folks noted to leave it off the lands some for better results, starting .100 off.

Just wanted to ask about those who have gone from the accubond and over to the etip.

Were you able to use the same powder and find success or did you need to go to a completely different powder?
what were your experiences in the process?

I'd like to just stick with the etip if this works.

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Irvine, CA. | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the etip. I have had several loads that would work the same with the old BT and accubonds. I would not hold my breath hoping to do the same with accubond and etips.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not a huge amount of people with info. on the etip.

If you have anything on the etip, please let us know.

Thanks,

PS> As we do the load workup, I'll report back.

Posts: 5 | Location: Irvine, CA. | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
my thoughts on the e-tip

use barnes

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ted. Might well end up that way, but I have 100 of the 150 gr. etip in 30 cal. already, so I am going to make a go of it first.

Even on the Nosler forum, there is no much to see. There is some who are successful. I'll report what I find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see you are in California, so you are presumably loading for one of the "no lead" areas. This is the only reason I can think of to use a monometal bullet.

The E-tip has an outer surface of regular guilding metal, whereas the Barnes TSX uses pure copper. The pure copper is somewhat softer and otherwise smears the bore with a coat of copper, so Barnes reduces the copper fouling by using driving bands which minimize the contact with the bore.

The softer material of the TSX will more readily deform (expand), so Barnes gets by (at least some of the time) with a tiny hollow nose. The alloyed copper of the Nosler E-tip is harder, so Nosler uses, in effect, a much larger hollow point by virtue of the plastic tip inserted in a large hollow nose. It appears that monometal bullets work fine when they work, but their failure to expand is much more common than with jacketed lead bullets. I can't say whether the Nosler or the Barnes might be more consistent in this department; but I can say that Barnes has always concentrated on adequate penetration, whereas Nosler has concentrated more on adequate expansion, so my instinct (if I had to pick) might be to go with the Nosler.

Since the monometals do not compress the way lead core bullets can and take up more powder space than a lead bullet of comparable weight, it is typically necessary to (1) seat the monometals about .05" or more off of the lands, and (2) reduce the powder charge.

Good luck. (You'll likely need it.)

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlostrander:
I have a 300 win. short mag and my current load is for 150 grain accubonds. 760 powder is used.

I have done some research and see that the mid level for powder on the accubond bullets is recommended as the max. powder used for the e-tip's. Several folks noted to leave it off the lands some for better results, starting .100 off.

Just wanted to ask about those who have gone from the accubond and over to the etip.

Were you able to use the same powder and find success or did you need to go to a completely different powder?
what were your experiences in the process?

I'd like to just stick with the etip if this works.

Thanks

One of my cow elk rifles I use the 30-06 with 150gr E-Tip. I've tested the 168gr E-Tip in a custom 300WSM and few others.

Here something from my 300WSM which has a 26" long 11.25 R twist Kreiger barrel.

max load from Alliant site 68gr/R-17 with 165gr bullet @ 3217fps.

65gr/R-17 with 165gr Accubond @ 3128fps

65gr/R-17 with 168gr E-Tip @ 3170fps

65gr/R-17 with 165gr TSX @ 3177fps

66gr/R-17 with 165gr TSX @ 3208fps

66gr/R-17 with 168gr E-Tip @ 3159fps

66gr/R-17 with 165gr ACCUBOND @ 3200fps

Win cases and Fed 215M primers, 35P Oehler

I'm getting the above rifle set up for my nephew in Calif and I'm going to try the 150 E-Tips. He's up in northern Calif but has some property down south so get couple good loads with the lead free bullets.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For me, E-Tips shot better with a little jump to the lands.

For load workup, I'd start a grain to a grain and a half under what works well with other bullets and work up from there.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: Excellent post and very good information. I have to confess, I had no idea what the E-Tip was until I read this post. Living in Arizona, we can pretty much use what we please here. My go to bullet in most cases is a Nosler Partition. They are very accurate. I have not had that success with Barnes Bullets. The groups I have gotten with the Barnes I have shot, is more like a shotgun pattern.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Accubond jacket is made of Gilding Metal alloy and for the E-Tip they made the entire bullet of Gilding Metal Alloy.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote