New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overall length and bullet seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I seat my bullet approximately .050 inch off of the lands of the barrel but my overall length exceeds the overall length stated for any caliber does this cause any potential problems as long as there are no abnormal pressure signs and no problems with the loads fitting in a particular magazine? I was in the process of working up some loads for my sons .270 and after determining the point at which the bullet is .050 inch from the lands I measured the cartridge and it exceeds the suggested overall length maximum by .028 inch. I assume this overall length is only a general guide? I was taught by other experience hand loaders in the past that "generally" a bullet seated just off the lands will produce better accuracy. This is pretty much the guidance I've used in reloading over the years but more recently began looking at these overall lengths given for each caliber in most reloading manuals. My first reloading manual, Speer #10 doesn't even show an O.A.L for any cartridge in the manual. Just wanted to know from some more experienced hand loaders.

Posts: 29 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 01 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seating bullets out there is no problem at all, as long as you start a couple/3 grains below max and work up from there. I condone the practice, as when I start load workup, I seat out to .010 off the lands (or at max magazine box length, whichever is longer), back off a few grains, and work up. I an usually find a pretty accurate load that way, then I start with the given charge and start seating bullets deeper by .025 to see if groups tighten up.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pay absolutely no attention to COL in bolt action rifles. As long as the loaded round fits in the magazine and you work up the hand load using the same or similar COL you shouldn't have any problems.

I assume you are shooting Barnes bullets based on the seating depth you mentioned. I've loaded em at that same seating depth in three rifles and they all shot submoa with the right powder.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, what he said; ignore book OAL measurements and let your throat and/or magazine determine them.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
I pay absolutely no attention to COL in bolt action rifles. As long as the loaded round fits in the magazine and you work up the hand load using the same or similar COL you shouldn't have any problems.

I assume you are shooting Barnes bullets based on the seating depth you mentioned. I've loaded em at that same seating depth in three rifles and they all shot submoa with the right powder.
Yep it is a Barnes

Posts: 29 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 01 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I fretted over OAL with two new rifles, one a 270 and one a 338. I wanted to use the 130 TTSX in the 270 and the 225 TTSX in the 338. I futzed around with OAL on the 270, trying the .050 stuff. Then I read a post here on AR where I guy said he just loads Barnes BUllets to crimp into the front groove. Which essentially is factory OAL. I did this with my 270 and it shoots into about .5, did the same with my 338 and it shoots .8 MOA - I have no idea where they are off the lands. The next rifle I load for with Barnes I will do the same. Lots of people have great luck with paying attention to the lands etc, but my experience is different. Another M70 I have in 30 06 shoots factory Federal 180 TSX under .75 MOA. Your mileage may vary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same questions, but found out that your OAL is specific for your gun and not what they tested the load data in, unless it's the same gun. Don't worry about OAL. If you measured correctly you will be safe. I back mine off .020 from my measurements and use bullets with a cannelure, Hornady SST and Speer GS, in my Ruger 7mm RM. I use the Hornady OAL gauge.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Only problem I have ever run into is when somebody tried to use my reloads in their gun. Couldn't close the bolt and when he tried to eject it, it left the bullet lodged in the throat. rotflmo
He doesn't show up to hunts without his ammo anymore.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote