New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating depth of barnes tsx
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You guys shooting the tsx is the - .050 to -.070 seating depth barnes recomends where you are finding the best accuarcy?

The problem is in my 270 wsm at -.050 I'm already compressing 64 grs of Re22 and I'm not even to max yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though barnes might still recomend it I think the .050" rule started with the older bullets to help alleviate pressure problems. It would be my recomendation that you might start with the same "jump" to the lands that other bullets you shoot in that gun are accurate with. Regardless if you move the bullet up to say .020" it isn't going to change the "compressed" powder story very much. Powder can be compressed quite a bit with absolutely no negative effects. You should hear/feel what it's like when I put 84 grains retumbo in my 300 mag......that's compressed powder!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine have liked .07. i am starting ther for now on.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be my recomendation that you might start with the same "jump" to the lands that other bullets you shoot in that gun are accurate with. Regardless if you move the bullet up to say .020" it isn't going to change the "compressed" powder story very much.

+1

The .05" thing is a guide. It may or may not work in your gun. You may need more or less.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .050 starting point has worked pretty well for me. I'll continue to start there, with standard bullets, usually start at .030.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for 2 rifles with the tsx. An A-bolt, which the magazine length wouldn't allow me to get anywhere near the lands, so I started as long as I could. The other rifle is a Sako. I started at .050 off the lands.

The accuracy was so good in both rifles I didn't see the need to seat any differently.

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The accuracy was so good in both rifles I didn't see the need to seat any differently.

In my experience loading the TSX, the powder and more importantly the powder charge were bigger factors. If it ain't grouping with powder X go to powder Y before spending a lot of time (or any) on the seating depth. And I have found the Barnes recommended powders to have worked well.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote