New
Find
Notify
Tools

hand prining tool?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an RCBS hand priming tool and i've been noticing that the primers are ending up a little proud of the case head. Does anyone have any experience with one of these tools, and if so are you getting the same results? Is there a better hand primer out there that doesn't cost a couple hundred dollars to set up for many different cases? Thanks -- Larry B.

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry b,
I don't think your problem lies with the priming tool. I use an RCBS Hand Primer and it works very well for me. I have, however, run into the same problem as you have with high primers. In my case, the problem turned out to be primer pockets that needed to be uniformed. So far, for me, this has only been a problem with .357 Magnum cases, especially the nickel plated ones and the brass ones made by Winchester. I got a small pistol primer pocket uniformer from Sinclair Intl. and it cured the problem nicely. Also be sure to clean your primer pockets. That alone can help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the LEE autoprime and have for years!!!
They break about every 8 or 10 years but at
9 bucks ea. and with a better feel I'll just keep using it.
I tried the Hornady and in my opinion it sucked
You use the same shell holder but then you can't load while you prime unless you have 2 shell holders and the press dosen't have as good a feel as the LEE
The RCBS unit seemed aboutthe same so I never tried it.
I'm happy with the lee and I'll just stick with it as it always works - Until about 3 or 4 years from now but I bought 2 the last time so I'm ready.
Oh yea!! I prime ALOT!! of cases.
Hope this helped

Posts: 36 | Location: THE WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always used the Lee hand priming tool, even when my ex-**** work for Blount when they owned RCBS and I could buy the products for manufacturer's cost. I have never had any problem seating primers unless it was in a Nickle plated round, primers were extremely tight and priming a 100 of them would wear my thumb plum out.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the Lee Auto-prime. They are inexpensive and work fast - like greased slime. I bought 2 and set one up for small the other for large primers. At about $10 it can't be beat. They give you great feel for the bottom of the pocket. You can pay more for another tool but they won't work significantly better than the Lee.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
After my 10th lee auto prime broke I bought a Sinclair priming tool. They are very proud of their products you can tell by the price, but with a little luck maybe it will outlast the Lee. [Roll Eyes] When I have primer problems I chuck the offending cartridge in the trash. [Big Grin] But seriously use what ever works the best for you.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag - How do you like the Sinclair? I just ordered one and it's on its way!

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The above responses are helpful, but I would advise calling RCBS Customer Service Department toll-free 1 800 533 5000 for a free quick fix, and a pleasant experience.
They found an out of spec part on one of mine that I had bought used on the web. They replaced the whole unit and a couple of shellholders too. It's kind of like buying a Craftsman tool.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larryb:
I bought an RCBS primer tool and when I went to use it, large rifle primers were seated so they were partially out of the pocket. I knew something was wrong since I always clean the pockets beforehand . Turned out that the plunger was too short allowing the primer to not seat flush. I discovered this by comparing the length of the small primer plunger with the large one. I took the unit back to the dealer, showed them the problem & we did an across the board swap. No more problems. Hope this helps. Bear in Fairbanks

[ 11-27-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i started using a lee auto prime a few yrs back. i just love it,it's fast, and you feel the primer bottom out in the pocket better. beats the priming arm on a press all to hell..

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"mjolnir2thor" I like the Sinclair it works great and is easy to adjust. More leverage and better feel than the Lee. [Big Grin] The Sinclair is Quality but expensive. [Eek!] The Lee is a good primer seating tool but they just don't last. At least not for me. [Cool]

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag - Thanks for the reply! I'm still waiting for the arrival of mine from Sinclair. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Lees for years now I like them I break the body on one now and then I just send them back and they send me a new body. Or I watch for them on sale. I have two set up for small rifle and pistol then another two set up for large rifle and pistol

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"p dog shooter" If I can find mine I will send it back for replacement. I break the pot metal lever with my thumb when seating primers. [Frown]

Swede44mag

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who use a K&M or a Sinclair, I have a fundamental question for you. I know that this question may seem silly but here goes.

How do you load a Sinclair or K&M Priming tool? The reason I ask, is that the gentleman who taught me to reload, told me never to pick up a primer with my fingers. His reasoning was that the oils and persperation from your fingers and hands would contaminate the primer.

Was/is this an old "wives" tale?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pick them up and load the tool with my fingers and have never had a problem (many 1000's of reloads!). I keep my hands clean and free of oil before I start. Also I make sure to wash up when I am done.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also handled 1000's of primers with no adverse affect. Make sure your hands are free of dirt and oil and you're on your way to reloading.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post

How do you load a Sinclair or K&M Priming tool? The reason I ask, is that the gentleman who taught me to reload, told me never to pick up a primer with my fingers. His reasoning was that the oils and persperation from your fingers and hands would contaminate the primer.

Swede44mag