Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying problem - RCBS Rockchucker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I just finished sizing and depriming about 2,000 cases..

That little tray catches most of the primers, but no matter what I do, about 5% of them seem to just bounce out and end up on the floor..

A real Pain-in-the-ass picking up those little things.. They bounce everywhere!

Anyone have a solution your willing to share?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
try a small piece of foam. along the bottom and sides
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
yep a little padding.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This how I do it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I solved that problem many years ago; I ignore them.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's why Wifezilla owns a vacuum cleaner.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I solved that problem many years ago; I ignore them.

rotflmo

Thsnks for that. It made my day.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
A piece of plastic drinking straw from the local fast food joint works wonders.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why Wifezilla owns a vacuum cleaner.

I didn't worry much about until I had dropped a live one in the carpet. The wife sucked it up and it went off in the beater head of the vacuum. No now I'm a little more careful Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue and about the same time I was really up to my limit with primers on the floor I ran across the following post on just this issue.

following by the member Johnny_V on Castboolits
Rock Chucker Supreme Primer Guard

I purchased one of them for my press and found it to be top quality as you might read about in some of the reports on them. It might not be for everyone, but it works great. I personally added a small piece of SS tubing to the bottom end of the primer drop tube with a flared end run through the top of a small 4oz bottle to catch the used primers in.

Just adding this for anyone else who might want to pick one up or see how they might come up with their own version.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The aluminium ones seem to give less "bounce" than the plastic ones. But there is a simpler fix.

It does seem an issue with the crinkle finish Rockchicker. But a small price to pay for what is elsewise a superb quality made US press.

I now use an Australian Simplex copy of a Lyman Orange Crusher so with its deeper primer catcher try I don't suffer these issues any longer.

If it still annoys get an Orange Crusher and these issues won't be there.

Play around with the depth that your decapping rod spindle is set at. Eventually you will get a depth set where the primers don't come out such that they exit the metal ram where it is an position to get this bounce effect.

No really! I suspect that your rod is set way long so that the primers are being popped when the ram is too far up or too far down.

I can't remember which it is but one way reduces the bounce effect. I think that it is when it is set to take the primer out when the ram is too far UP that causes the problem.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Gorilla tape.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Idea
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
A piece of plastic drinking straw from the local fast food joint works wonders.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I did and it works great the platform is at a downward angle with a tilt toward the corner which allows the primers to roll to the collection cup, I use a small paint brush to sweep in the stubborn primers and any residue that comes out of the casings. The collection cup is a cut down medicine container. The cap is glued to the bootom of the tray and the orange container is cut down to a smaller length you just twist off the orange container to empty I will put duck tape on the open side of the rochchucker to keep everyhing in. The platform is contoured to fit the recesses of the frame and the wooden dowel serves as an anchor and leveler. the frist one is the orignal RC the 2nd is the supreme, due to a little difference in the design the table was modified
[URL= ][img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN04393.JPG[
[URL= ][img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN04424.JPG

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Enfield has a great point. Adjusting the decapping pin depth will make a big difference. Getting that depth correct won't eliminate the occasional bouncer, but it will greatly reduce the percentage.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For me...I started with banning the wife from the garage, then she became an ex-wife, now I just sweep the floor once a quarter...seems to have worked out fine.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote