Find
Notify
Tools

What Powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
My wife keeps complaining that I buy too much reloading supplies. She really lays it on me every time we visit the sporting goods store. So, my solution is this, I want to narrow my powder selection down to about 3 choices. Currently I am reloading for the following loads:

223- 55gr TSX
7mm-08- 140gr Accubonds
30-30- 150gr grand slam (Its a bolt action)
30-06- 150gr Scirroco
30-06- 200gr Partition
450NE- 550gr weldcore

I think I have narrowed it down to H4831SC, H4350 and H4895. Would these be the best choices? If not, what would you suggest?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
I reload everything from 223 to 460 Weatherby with just 4895 and 4350. So it looks like you should be good with your choices.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd start complaining about hair care products or something she buys a lot of that you don't use.

I don't reload the same loads as you but I'd say you need three or four different powders. Even a good powder can be a compromise from cartridge to cartridge. For example, Varget will do .222 to .308 but it's not always the best powder for the cartridge and bullet combo you put it in. Like in a .223 with a bullet lighter than 60 grains Varget isn't great but with heaavier bullets it is.

On the other hand, if you have a dozen powders it may be time to slow down.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm only allowed 3 powders, my wife would only be allowed 3 spices in the kitchen, and three pairs of shoes.

The powders you mentioned should be on just about every reloading shelf, but I'm not sure they could fill ever need.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
My 3 would be RL15, RL22 & H414

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
its not so much that I use a bunch of differnt powders, as it is that I am ALWAYS using up and needing some of the common ones. My plan was to buy 3 of the 8lb containers, that is all that I can afford at this moment.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get by with what you have,also try to sneak some into the reloading room when she is not around.
I have only done that twice,got caught once.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just told mine to put the same amount of cash in a jar for me every time she bought herself cigarettes. She don't say a word any more.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL 19 works real well in my wife's 7mm-08. Good velocity and good groups.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Buy the powder that's best for purpose & ask her how much she spends on clothes & shoes.

I see this all the time (I own a fishing tackle shop) & am amazed at how cowed some of my customers are by their wives (whilst said wives hold several boutique carrier bags....).

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, all the above cowards are married and ___whipped. The real cure for this type of harassment is to keep the rifles and dump the wife--you'll be happier and live cheaper- saving mucho dinero -even taking child support into account if you were incautious to THAT degree- -especially on toilet paper and plumber's bills...........floor wax....air fresheners...etc...etc..

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Married yes, whipped no. She doesn't say anything about guns, ammo, jeep stuff, I don't say anything about clothes, shoes, jeep stuff.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steph123
posted Hide Post
I would think for your cartridge list 4895 and 4350 would be all you ever need.

Posts: 139 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to narrow my powder selection down to about 3 choices.

IF you are 'storing' powders doing that might help but IF you're actually using the powders it won't mean a thing, cost wise.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might consider buying SMP 844 and 846, one 8-lb. keg of each, and search out load data on the 'net. Both powders are ball type and load very easily, and have quite a useful range of calibers.

Currently, www.wideners.com is selling both at $11-$12/lb. + shipping and hazmat. Not inexpensive, but you might get some handloading friends to split an order of 6 jugs and get a price break.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I'd start complaining about hair care products or something she buys a lot of that you don't use.

I don't reload the same loads as you but I'd say you need three or four different powders. Even a good powder can be a compromise from cartridge to cartridge. For example, Varget will do .222 to .308 but it's not always the best powder for the cartridge and bullet combo you put it in. Like in a .223 with a bullet lighter than 60 grains Varget isn't great but with heaavier bullets it is.

On the other hand, if you have a dozen powders it may be time to slow down.

a buddy of mine put it in proper perspective ...he said shopping is the equivelent of 'hunting' for women. They go out looking for the 'trophy',..it may be that perfect purse or shoes and they are just as excited as when we take a trophy animal. I'm not suggesting an argument but if she spends similar to what you spend, then there shouldn't be any issue?

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:

I think I have narrowed it down to H4831SC, H4350 and H4895. Would these be the best choices? If not, what would you suggest?

Nothing wrong with that powder selection at all.. Sometimes, (quite often) I get better overall results with W760 (same thing as H414) than 4350, but I still like to use 4350 anyway.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried that many moons ago, and the truth is it just don't work..As to cost, you won't save a dime by trying to use one or two powders in all your loading..you still have to put the powder in a case, so its a push as to wheather you pour it in the case from one can or another! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote