Notify
Tools

crimped primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I just picked up a case of these Federal XM193F M193 5.56 today

Question....are the primer pockets crimped?

http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/xm193.aspx

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
From past experience yes.

X mil-spec ammo is usually one of three items; 1) over run from a contract prodution run, 2) prodution made from mil-spec components but not under contract, 3) ammo that meets SAAMI specs but not mil-spec, extreme velocity spread would be a reson not to accept a batch.

It's easy to reload the brass. The crimp can be pressed back into the case with an RCBS tool on your press or a Dillon deswager or it can be cut out with a cutter. You can buy a cutter made for this or I've seen a countersink used to cut it out.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Can't you use a deburring tool to ream out the primer pocket?

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Might work, never tried it. Since almost all of my brass, 90% + rifle and 75-80% of my pistol brass, is once fired mil brass the choice for a Dillon was easy.

I have the RCBS deswager but never used it for a big batch. It's slow but works well. I started out with the hand held cutter but it's slow also.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Might work, never tried it. Since almost all of my brass, 90% + rifle and 75-80% of my pistol brass, is once fired mil brass the choice for a Dillon was easy.

I have the RCBS deswager but never used it for a big batch. It's slow but works well. I started out with the hand held cutter but it's slow also.

Sam's spot on.

I've tried reaming, the RCBS, too. The deburring tool will work but easy to overdo it. Dillon is a bit pricey, but by far best solution to the problem.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 916 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get a few thousand pieces of my dept brass every year (Fed LE). I recently purchased the Dillon to deal with the crimped primers. Excellent tool, easy to use, and yuo can get rolling pretty quick with it.

Sure not cheap, but IMHO worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the brass 1X or is it new?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Sorry but not trying to be an ass but if
It was new there would be no crimp

It's 1x

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just look at it?

According to Federal's data it is completely mil -spec so it will be crimped.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I did and yes it is....

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Shake hands with your new friend.
Dillon super swage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VQoPDik04
Its worth the money.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
One is in my future for sure!!! I will have to paint that ugly lil bitch though

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
I get a few thousand pieces of my dept brass every year (Fed LE). I recently purchased the Dillon to deal with the crimped primers. Excellent tool, easy to use, and yuo can get rolling pretty quick with it.

I bought one of the Dillon Super Swages in 1985. Have been using it ever since. Works absolutely great.

Never ever had any kind of a problem with it, and you'll pretty much know how to run it just by looking at it. Comes with the "de-crimper" swage for both large and small primers.

I owned at least 4 other decrimpers prior to buying the Dillon, including RCBS, Lachmiller, Lyman and, IIRC, Redding. None of them could hold a candle to the Dillon for either speed or quality of work performed. tu2

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Sorry but not trying to be an ass but if
It was new there would be no crimp

It's 1x

I was reluctant to ask the question for that reason.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
For a large batch I chucked a 4 flute countersink into the drillpress and had it set on the slowest speed, then just grabbed the case with my hand and held it to the countersink for a couple milliseconds. It is probably the fastest way to do a bunch of shells and you have plenty of control.

Having said that, I broke a decapping stem (not just the punch) when a berdan primed 223 shell found its way into a bunch of surplus empties, which made me realize there is really no large advantage for me at this point to choose once fired military over new.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:

I bought one of the Dillon Super Swages in 1985. Have been using it ever since. Works absolutely great.

Never ever had any kind of a problem with it, and you'll pretty much know how to run it just by looking at it. Comes with the "de-crimper" swage for both large and small primers.

I owned at least 4 other decrimpers prior to buying the Dillon, including RCBS, Lachmiller, Lyman and, IIRC, Redding. None of them could hold a candle to the Dillon for either speed or quality of work performed. tu2

I really didn't want to drop the dollars on it...now that I did, I would buy it all over if I had too.