New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph or Reality?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since the last thread under this heading, I have followed the good advice given to me.

I clocked some 22LR. rounds and they were on the money.

I tried a couple of other powders in my 7mm STW. I should not have been surprised to see there was quite a diffrernce.

My 7mmSTW clocked 3,500 fps. with a 140 Sierra in front of 81 grs. of reloader22. This is max. in my gun and I will back off to 80 grs. The string I shot in one grain increments, from 77grs to 81grs. ended up in a tight cluster under one inch at 100yards.
Fed. Premium 140gr. Nosler clocked 3180fps.

I know I have rookie writen all over my face. Even though I have been reloading for a long time, I would just work up to max. in a particular gun with the bullet I wanted to use and go hunting. Placing all emphasis on the bullet. Never took the time to experiment. Picked the powder from the manual that gave the best velosity and went with it.

I have heard this said many times and I agree, A chronograph is good investment and B.S detector for anyone who wants good handloads.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

Which grain (load 77-81 gr. of RL 22 powder) produced the sub-inch group? Whatever it was, stick with it.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CK,

I fired all 5 rounds, 77,78,79,80,81grs into a tight cluster. At the time, I was concerned only about signs of pressure and velosity readings or spikes. I was quite suprised. I sure hope to get the same performance if I substitute 140gr. Partitions.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah,,, another one converted to "get a chronograph" school of thought...

and a great deal of reason and rational thought broke out!!

good work....

jeffe

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner, you are exhibiting some good common sense in your approach. I used to have a chronograph but have not used one for about 8 years. It got to the point that I was placing too much importance on it. And using it for computer generated ballistics rather than shooting at those distances to find out what it really did at 300, 400, etc. I founds quite a discrepancy between reality and ballistic programs.

I am happy to say I am chronograph free now and have been for 8 years. Each day is a challenge, I see them advertised and want to go in and buy a six pack. I keep telling myself I won't get addicted like I was before. I have overcome it. I just call a friend and he talks me out of it. Sigh.....

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I have used my buddys chronograph off and on for quite awhile. I bought my own awhile back, and had similar discoveries, like "I can't believe that is so slow! How could those deer have died? [Wink] And hmmm...that's not what the factory ammo manufacterer/reloading manual says the velocity is... [Razz]

I use mine now when working up loads as a extra safeguard for high pressure...And it's cool to play around with them. [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recently aquired a 03 Springfield 30-06. Ill dust off the chrony and test drive the gun, try some pet loads and maybe a few whimsie powders just for good measure. Once Im happy with what Im getting from the chrony's standpoint, the chrony will go back on the shelf and the gun will get some miles.. [Wink]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote