New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet, brass or chamber problem?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello folks;
Lookin for ideas on a temperamental Ruger 77/22h. I have a batch of once fired brass that I was getting ready & noticed the normal swell about an 1/8" above the extractor groove only goes about 2/3 of the way around the circumference of the case. The remaining 1/3 is smooth with no swell. I have heard & read more than once that the two piece bolt may need to be tightened up since the locking lugs are in the rear of the bolt. I have done some tinkerin' but no serious gun work & not sure where to look. This gun is like my golfing, it will shoot a decent group every now & then, but I'd hate to have to depend on it. If anyone has any experience like this, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the first thing I would do is make a casting of your chamber. Looking for a wallow-out or out of round chamber. I have found that out of round chambers is more common then I would hope. There is more knowledgeable people on the list then I. You will be getting some other good ideas. Best of luck finding out your chamber problem, Twyman

Posts: 48 | Location: Edmond OKlahoma | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a chamber problem.....as the other post suggest the chamber cast is a good way to find out..mark the case and reload it and make sure the expanded part is at the top of the chamber/then see if the expanded spot shows up at the bottom this time after you shoot it the second time,...the #1 and 3 did better for consistancy in the Hornet.....but I didn't keep the 77 long as another Hornet came along in a different gun and I swapped....the Hornet can be choosey about small changes in anything reguardless of the type bolt lock up.....some respond to a primer change.....Rem 6 1/2 were made for small rifle cases such as the Hornet and help sometimes??? good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't discount the possibility of brass that is thicker on one side causing the problem. This will allow the brass to expand at diffetent rates along it's circumference. Will this be enough to produce what you are experencing? Probably only in the more extreame cases. But this is worth a look see.
This would show up in the brass as unequal neck thickeness. Probably most easily measured as neck runout after resizing. Most accurate way to measure would be with a ball micrometer. Cut a few cases in half just above where you are concerened. Measure the brass thickness at the site of concern.
As was mentioned a chamber cast will tell if it is the rifle causing the problem. It is a little tricky to do a good chamber cast unless you have had some experence(I found out the hard way).
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>I have a batch of once fired brass that I was getting ready & noticed the normal swell about an 1/8" above the extractor groove only goes about 2/3 of the way around the circumference of the case. The remaining 1/3 is smooth with no swell.<<
Your brass is not centered in the chamber when fired. This is often due to the extractor pushing the case to one side of a generous but not necessarily oversize chamber. It happens because functional clearance has to be designed between a max cartridge and a minimum chamber. My TC Hornet also does this. This condition is found to an extreme in .303 Lee-Enfields. Brass with a larger head diameter or a smaller diameter chamber will prevent this. I have also heard that wrapping a narrow strip of tape around the solid case head section can cause the initial shot to center the brass better. I don't shoot my Hornet enough to worry with trying to wrap the case head with tape for the first shot.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...noticed the normal swell about an 1/8" above the extractor groove only goes about 2/3 of the way around the circumference of the case. The remaining 1/3 is smooth with no swell.
...it will shoot a decent group every now & then, but I'd hate to have to depend on it...

Hey gonehuntin, Actually, it seems that ALL the previous posters might be right. I've got 35 years of aggravation dealing with Hornets. Finally traded my last one off a fewyears ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Here is what I think it could be:
1. An "in Spec" but slightly large chamber.
2. Cases may indeed be thicker on one side than the other.
3. Pressure is low enough that you are not getting enough Gas Volume to cause the Case to expand evenly.

Suggestions:
1. If you are not using Lil'Gun Powder, try it.
2. Try a few cases from a different Lot. Either buy a few at a different place than you got the first ones, or get a box of a "different brand of Factory Ammo" to see if it is doing the same thing.
3. This is the "only" cartridge I recommend a that person Neck Sizes. You can do it with your Full Length Die, just back it off the Shell Holder a good 1/4" or so.
4. Use a Small Pistol Primer(not Magnum). This is SAFE to do since the SAAMI MAX Pressure is still below 38Spl levels. Also had pretty good luck with Rem 6 1/2s which is a Small Rifle Primer.
5. ONLY use Bullets below 50gr!

How much are your Groups changing from day to day with the same Load?
What Powder, Bullet and Primer are you using?

The Hornets I had "might" shoot in the 0.8"-1.2" range one day and then go to 1.6"-2.0" using the exact same Load the next day.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you don't worry about the brass too much for now.
The best thing I ever found for my Ruger was Lil'Gun powder. You can't fit too much in a Hornet case. I used 13.2 grains of Lil'Gun, a Federal #100 small pistol primer, and a 40-grain V-Max, Berger, or Starke bullet, seated .020" off the rifling. The Ruger is easy to load single shot.
I'd also recommend you free-float your barrel, glass bed the action and first 2" of barrel, and replace that awful factory trigger with a SpecTech or other adjustable trigger, and a Volquartsen target sear.
You can check your headspace with a feeler gauge between the bolt halves with a sized case chambered. I installed a .0015" shim between my bolt halves, which did nothing for accuracy. If you've got a lot of clearance, Conneticut Precision Chambering does quite a lot of 77/22 work. You can "Google" them.
Regards, George.

posted Hide Post
First off, thanks for the quick replies to a newcomer!
I'm not familiar with a chamber cast or the procedure to do it, but I have a pound of "Li'l Gun" & a couple different brands of small pistol primers in the cabinet just waiting to be opened. Here's the loads I had for it:
#1 load
Fed 205 small rifle primer
11.8 gr Win 296
45 gr Sierra hornet #1210
1.785 OAL
This load had the best group, but it was about 20 degrees Farenheit when I tested it & it shot around 1" to 1 1/4". The warmer it got, the worse it grouped up to about 2.5 or 3".
#2 load
Fed 205
11.8 gr Win 296
Hornady 45 gr Bee bullet
1.703 OAL
I don't have a chrony "yet", so I can't tell you the velocity.
Would the cold weather groups be an indicator of the small rifle primers being too much or is that just a characteristic of the powder?

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It could be you have a large chamber. If the cartridge is laying againsy the bottom of the chamber it can only
expand upward. The pressure of the load has nothing to do with it. Some people ignore it, some people
neck size only, and some people use "scotch" tape on the base of new brass to expand it evenly.
All schemes seem to work. The Hornet may be the touchiest cartridge to load for.
Good LucK!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I have a pound of "Li'l Gun" & a couple different brands of small pistol primers in the cabinet just waiting to be opened.

45 gr Sierra hornet #1210

I don't have a chrony "yet", so I can't tell you the velocity.

Would the cold weather groups be an indicator of the small rifle primers being too much or is that just a characteristic of the powder?

Hey gonehuntin, The Lil'Gun and the Pistol Primers "may" get you to a Load that is consistent from day-to-day. Only way to know is to punch targets.

I used a whole bunch of those exact same Sierra bullets over the years and it is excellent as are the Hornadys, Noslers, Remingtons and Speers.

I never got to use bullets below 40gr, but some of the guys who do use them say they are excellent. You may want to pick up one box and try them sometime.

I've never found the need for a chronograph to tell me if a Load is "Good or Bad" as the holes in the target will provide that info. And there is enough data available from the Powder and Bullet Manufacturers to allow a person to "guess" how fast the Bullet is going within +/- 150fps. Just look at a couple of data sources(when possible), adjust the velocity for the barrel length and once you get the final estimated velocity, subtract about 100fps and you will be pretty close.

Concerning your final question about the weather affecting the Small Rifle Primers, my recommendation would be to keep the two things as "separate issues" in your mind.

Changing Primers in the 22Hornet affects the accuracy more than any other cartridge I've ever messed with, apparently due to the small amount of Powder involved.

And likewise, extremes in temperature can have a big impact on most Loads. I do believe this will be reduced with the Lil'Gun, but have not tried it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote