New
Find
Notify
Tools

subsonic cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hear alot about the 300 Whisper but is it as quite as they play it up to be?

Is it possible to make other subsonic cartridges.
For example (?) 7mmBR whisper?

A friend of mine seems to think that there may be a manual out there on this subject?

Thanks.
Bill

Posts: 247 | Location: Butler, PA | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Subsonic rounds can still be very loud, they are just missing the sonic boom. I am uncertain if there is a book available that contains subsonic loads for various cartridges. I have run across subsonic loads for cartridges over the years, i even seen some for the 300 Win Mag once......

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have loads for .308Win or 6,5x55 SE Subsonic? I need it for experiment. Please share those data.

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maz,
I have written to the European author of that article some time ago about expansion ratio. Like the rec.guns faq by Norm Johnson, there is still no revision with expansion ratio.

I am getting frustrated I cannot communicate the theory of the performance I am getting with silent loads without silencers.

It has been stated that all silencers must have a 300:1 ratio of silencer to case capacity.

Maybe for non silencer silent loads, if I say: "The barrel volume must be ballenced with the powder charge to achive this 300:1 ratio, and the bullet seating depth must be compressing the powder for maximum velocity."

I didn't say "expansion ratio" anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Subsonic rounds can still be very loud, they are just missing the sonic boom.

Even worse, human hearing can also detect the direction the bullet came from when that subsonic round passes close by, while the sonic boom makes a supersonic round seem like it came from a direction more or less perpendicular to it's actual origin.

Due to potential danger in loading subsonic ammo if you are shooting a .223 or .308 I suggest you buy the cartridges from TTI Armory already loaded.

What sort of experimenting are you doing? The rest of us do not need to invest in ballistic vests do we?

[ 06-28-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load subsonic 300 gr. paper patch in my .44 Mag(rifle) for neighborhood pests. Trajectory is very round but range is short. About 2.0 gr Bullseye works for me. It makes noise but not much, and the sound is not readily associated with gunfire. Kinda like a 2 kiloton fart? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found .5 gr Bullseye with .454 lead ball pushed down into the 45/70 case until it touches the flash hole is quiet as a pellet gun and goes through an inch of wood.

The same load seated at the mouth of the case makes the same noise, but bounces off wood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

It seems that the author of the piece in Finland is no longer with us. I saw a notice on the website there that he'd passed away some time ago. I'm not terribly impressed by the level of detail on the GOW site but do find it an interesting read from a historic standpoint as well as having a few good pointers.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting recipe for the .47/70. I'll have to give it a try in my .458 mag. BTW - I'm certain the penetration increase is due to having a higher breech pressure when everything is pushed together as opposed to having a big volume to fill with gas before acting on the ball. I'd expect ignition is better and more consistant too. I wonder what 2 - 3 grains of Red Dot under a 350 Gr cast will do...

Good shooting everyone.