THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How come no shotshell loads for centerfire rifles?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How come no shotshell loads for centerfire rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've use the .22 LR shotshell loads for snakes that were after my martins. Very effective at 12-15 foot range. since they have shot shell loads for centerfire handguns why not say a 30/06? We all know you can load a rifle to lower velocitys. I bet you could fit quite a few #9 shot in a "cup" shaped like a 220 grained .308 cal bullet. Patterns would be awful as the rifling would spin the shot charge but I would think it would still be effective for camp pests at short ranges. Running a bear away from camp, maybe edible small game at very short ranges and such stuff as that. Much more so than a .22 LR or a .22 WMR shot charge. I think such a load would sell like hotcakes to everyone that had to just "try it". Any comments? FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i load .357 shot loads all the time useing the speer capsules... i spose a guy could a .357 magnum tc contender rifle barrel.. or try a .357 caliber lever action rifle of some sort... some of my shot loads for my 6" model 27 are full of #2 shot... it seems to do a job on the occasional possum in my garage... i have some with #9 shot as well......

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've loaded .405 Winchester rounds with Unique, a .410 shot cup, @250gr of #8 shot, and a .410 shot card crimped in to seal it all together.

From my Ruger #1 the pattern is about 2' wide at 5 yards. There is always a center cluster of shot about 8" across and a seperate ring about 8" wide around that. Looks like a view of the plant Saturn. Smiler

Haven't shot anything living with them but it does nasty things to a beverage can out to 10 yards.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnmauser:
... I bet you could fit quite a few #9 shot in a "cup" shaped like a 220 grained .308 cal bullet. Patterns would be awful as the rifling would spin the shot charge but I would think it would still be effective for camp pests at short ranges. Running a bear away from camp,...
Hey FNMauser, I don't know if they are still available or not, but someone used to sell pre-formed Jackets, maybe Corbin. And of course they do sell all the Dies to "Form your own" if you would be interested in trying it out.

I've killed a few Black Bears, and normally they move off as soon as they see you, unless it is a Sow with Cubs and then you might want to rethink "hacking her off" with small size Shot.

Like tasco 74, I use the Speer Shot Capsules in 357Mags and 44Mags. As he mentioned, they can be loaded with larger Shot than the #12 Shot you have used in the 22LR and 22Mag rimfires.

I have a really old sack of #7 Shot that I use and it is excellent for snakes. Don't know if you can still find it or not, but the #7 1/2 Shot would work just as well.

Might be cheaper for you to just get a 357Mag or 44Mag with the Shot Capsules than to go through the Pre-formed Jackets and Forming Dies for the 30-06.

But, I can see you were primarily asking about why they don't offer a Factory Load like that. Maybe they will some day. Send Win, Rem and Fed an email and ask.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote