New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW HORNADY BRASS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i was priming new Hornady brass this morning with federal 210 primers, the primers were going in so tight I broke the primer seating arm on my RCBS at the pivot pin.. Bought one on EBAY for $16.00 anyone else done this..

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
have you measured any of the primers or pockets?
I never liked that set up for primers.
I had a batch of 38 brass that I had to chamfer the primer pockets in order for the primers to seat.
Had an issue with cci primers and Winchester rifle brass, the primers were just to soft.
never broke a seater or primer arm

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load Hornady brass in .308 W and .375 R. Hornady is currently the only supplier for the latter.

Pockets are snug in both, but more so in .308. I swage .308 pockets - as with crimped LC or WCC. After swaging it remains on the snug side, but is no longer a problem to prime.

The .375 pockets are not a problem to prime, and remain tight after (so far) 5 loadings.

I don't mind the extra step for Hornady .308 brass.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I use a primer pocket uniformer on all new brass.

Posts: 2332 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using this RCBS priming tool for so many years, and love it, as we load quite a lot of ammo.

This definitely sounds like the primer pockets are too tight.

I think this is a modern problems that seems to have crept up lately.

In the past we never had any problems, with any brass except crimped military brass.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67509 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vines:

WHY did you buy one?
Call 'em and they'll mail a new one out N/C.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5967 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that Remington primers seem to be a bit smaller in diameter and "softer", and go in nicely when CCI or Federal's are too tight.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found that Remington primers seem to be a bit smaller in diameter and "softer", and go in nicely when CCI or Federal's are too tight

I to have found Rem. & Win. primers to be smaller. but I have worked up my load with Fed.210
I bought a primer uniformer, and de-bured the rough spots. everything is good now

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote