Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy bullet load for 1917 45 ACP?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
For an S&W 1917 does anyone have direct experience loading a 300 gr WFN? This cylinder has a lot of room in front of the case mouth. So i'm hoping for a mild load for the heavy bullet. TIA. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded various wimp loads for a 1917 45 Colt.

The accuracy winner is 300 gr cast 6 gr Unique.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I appreciate the data. I don't want a magnum. I want just what you shared. Slow and penetrating in an old handgun. I can use my acp cases in the 7 clips I have. I don't have to buy the rimmed cases. I may load some with standard bullets tomorrow so I can burn some powder. Thanks again. packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't load too hot there is no need for those clips, you can oull the cases quite easily with your fingernails. I found the clips to be rather annoying, even with the tool I bought for extraction.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For use without the clips I'll get the auto rim cases. I can 10-4 you on the inconvenience. But for a fast reload they are the bee's knees. I have a piece of electrical conduit with part of the end cut out. That leaves a tab sticking up you use to pry the case loaded or fired out of the clip. The case falls into the palm of your hand when it comes out of the star clip. Not fast but quite handy. No sore fingers from prying. Thanks again. I got data here. Packy

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I have loaded various wimp loads for a 1917 45 Colt.

The accuracy winner is 300 gr cast 6 gr Unique.

Be very carefull w/ that load data. That is way over std. pressure for the 45acp. In fact, that is pushing close to +p w/ a 230grLRN. I have a 275grLSWCHP that I want to try in my M625. A bit shorter OAL than the 300gr & I should be able to get 900fps safely.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote