THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Accubond workup utilizing Ballistic Tips Question?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond workup utilizing Ballistic Tips Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that have followed my load work-up (or lack thereof) of the Swift Scirocco II bullets in my .300 Winchester Magnum, you know that I am headed for the Nosler Accubond, 180 grain. For those that haven't, the process was long and non-gratifying...and I am headed for the Nosler Accubond, 180 grain.

My question is this:

Has anyone worked up their load for the Accubond by getting close with the ballistic tip of like make (in my case the 180 Accubond/180 Ballistic Tip) as they have the same ballisitic coefficient, weight etc.?

I am just wondering if it would be a cost savings to me, albeit a small savings if I worked up close with the Ballistic tip and then tweaked the load slightly as needed for the Accubond, or are they two different cats in the experience of those that have tried this route.

My thought is that not only would work-up be slightly cheaper, but I could shoot the ballistic tips for practice if they were close.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are those that say they shoot to the same point of impact. I would try it. I'll bet they will be very close. I don't think you'll find it hard to get them to shoot at all.

G0 here and buy the blems. They are perfectly good bullets and you'll save about $5 per box.!!

http://www.shootersproshop.com/reloading.htm

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
We did this with a buddy's Rem 700 and the AB's shot just like the BT's. The waste is only if you don't like to shoot, or you want to do something twice. His rifle loved the maximum feasable amount of IMR 7828 behind the 180 grain, to the tune of 1/2 MOA. If anything this particular lot of AB's was more accurate than the BT's we were pushing. But very hard to be sure about that. Last note would be to be sure to use a comparator to have the same distance from the lands, for consistancy sake of course.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great advice by Kraky and 308, the AB is slightly different than the NBT, but very hard to tell on the target face! I always use the blems kraky posted the link to, the load data doesn't vary in my experience.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 338WM they shoot to the same POI at 100 Yrds ( Have not shot at more this year). I do all the workup and most of my Practice with the cheaper BTs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Nosler say they can be interchaged without any serious difference.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote