THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Need advice: 416 weatherby: I'm new to reloading

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need advice: 416 weatherby: I'm new to reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
RCBS makes all around the best stuff.
If it were me, I would get:
RCBS Rock Chucker Press
A set of RCBS dies, of Redding, or Forester because I know there are some crazy people out there that say you have to spend $500 dollars on a set of dies just so they work right, but for me, RCBS has never failed.
An RCBS 10-10 Powder Scale
For a powder measure, I like the Redding 30BR, it is great and throws accurate charges right down to the last grain.
Oh, and definately a Lee Hand Priming Tool. Hands down the best on the market: Fast, easy, and lets you feel if there is a problem when you are seating.

There is no need to go out and spend $1000 to get a top-of-the line setup.
For me, I have been loading with the aforementioned equipment for a million years, and never once have I had any problems that weren't my own fault.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've decided to go to just one rifle, a 416 weatherby. I haven't reloaded for nearly 30 yrs., (I'm 51), so I consider myself totally ignorant about reloading. My question to you guys is simply this: If money were no object and you were buying the equipment to use for the next 20 years (which I am), what reloading gear would you buy? I will probably reload 50-100 rounds a month. I also
may start reloading for a 454 casull handgun, but my main
interest is the rifle for the time being. The main thing I
want is to be able to load with real precision.

Any advice as to what brands are best, what type of equip., etc. would really be helpful.

Thanks,
Wes

Posts: 1193 | Location: Shawnee, Okla US | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The new Rockchucker is a good deal, you may also look into the Ammo master also by RCBS. Both will ahndle the big Wby. case. I like Redding dies a bit better than RCBS, they cost more but I feel they are finished better. Get one of the elec. scales. loading block (Midway has nice wood ones). You'll eventually need a case trimmer, Forster, Hornady & Lyman make simple, easy to use trimmers. Powder funnel & I like the Hornady hand priming tool, I'm not sure the Lee will accept the big Wby. case. A couple of good reloading manulas t refresh your memory & away you go.

Just curious why you decided on a .416Wby? For a one rifle guy a .375h&h or .375Wby. would be a wee bit more versatil.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. This is very helpful.

As to why I am building a 416 Weatherby, its simple. For what I want, I think it is the most versatile. With the 400 gr in solids or softs, I know I can knock down buff, ele, etc. With the 350 gr. barnes bullet and its .52 BC, the tables show the same trajectory as a 300 win mag. So, I feel like I'm set for anything.

I have accumulated over the years a 7mm, 300 win mag, 375 h&h, 416 rem mag and a 450 dakota. I like all of them and they all shoot very well, but I'm just getting too lazy too
mess with all of them. Based on my hunting experience, I just think the 416 w. makes the best compromise.

Thanks again.

Wes

Posts: 1193 | Location: Shawnee, Okla US | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
most has been said already, just that the rcbs supreme is probably the best press for that round. I find the ammomaster TOO big to use, as I have a touch of arthritus in my elbow (too bad it's not just there) and the rockchucker too small for rigby sized rounds.

and, for pistol, I would get a dillen or (load help me) a lee progressive... gun review listed the lee as the best bang for the buck, on 45 LC.

unsolicited advice... start with BOTTOM 416 rigby loads...

I would get ch4d dies... as I feel these are the best bang for the buck on dies

order 200 rounds of norma brass, this will last you a life time in rotation.

get the RCBS APS benchmounted primer... it's simply the best priming tool i've ever used... 5 seconds to adjust primer seating depth.

In short
1: rcbs supreme master reloading kit.. 275
this has the scale, book, and powder thrower
2: aps primer, bench, 125 with all
3: lyman 55 powder thrower
4: the RIGHT dies (your call)
5: a good tumbler and media seperation kit

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote