Find
Notify
Tools

What is causing this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
The last reloads i made for my 22-250 all when chambered, then removed, had a ring engraved on the primer. Im guessing this is due to contact with the bolt face where the firing pin comes through. Now some of these rounds were somewhat tight to close, but did not exhibit any greater marks on the primer. Is this a problem?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what load are you using?
If its a light load the primers may not be reseating.
have you blown some primers and possibly have a gas cut on the face of the bolt?
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
the rounds are unfired, and never had a primer blow or any other damage

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
ok??? ?
Does it look like a small crater rim around the dent in the primer?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 common problems:

Primer seating: The pockets should be clean and uniformed. Primers should be .003" below flush with the head.

Shoulders not set back far enough causing difficult or impossible bolt closure: Sometimes people get in a hurry and do not run the ram up fully. Sometimes the die was not set up correctly in the first place and the case is allowed to "grow." It may not become a problem until the case has been sized a few times depending upon the alloy and how hard the brass has been worked in each sizing. At some point, many if not most, serious handloaders buy gages to measure base to shoulder length. I like the RCBS precision mic, but there are other brands that do nearly the same job.

Hopefully, the above is of some help. There could be other things going on, but you've pretty much described those 2 common problems.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
well i went to load 20 rounds today, and after sizing, trimming, priming, i went to chamber a case, and sure enough, every one was tighter than normal, and left marks on the primers. I now am guessing that my worries of setting the shoulder back too far have morphed into pretty good evidence im not pushing them back enough. Wish i wouldnt have primed them not but oh well. Also, these Win nickel cases, when i very firmly seat a primer, it seems the primer is barely (.001"-.003") protruding from the case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've yet to have a press seat a primer properly, all mine had proud primers.
I got 2 cheap Lee hand primer seaters and haven't looked back.
Once you get them chambered they'll be ok to shoot. I wouldn't even think about trying to reseat primers in loaded rounds, and I wouldn't even be slamming the bolt closed either. Smiler

1 st rule of reloading is try everything as you go, preferably with the fireing pin assembly out of the bolt.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
i have a bunch of regular win, rem, and frontier brass that all accept primers that are flush or slightly lower, these are the only ones. Maybe because this is their fourth reload? Been looking at getting a hand primer just havent done it yet. Also, the bolt closes on these rounds with minimal resistance, just not as smooth as the factory rounds. Gonna adjust my die a little further down next go round and see what happens. Thanks for the help fellas.