New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL-12 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know why RL-12 was discontinued. Too many others with similar burn rate?

A small local gun shop has all powders marked up to $26 - $32 per pound and has 3 cans of RL-12 at $19. Date on bottom is 1991. They are the old cardboard can. I bought one just to try out.

I thought it might work with light bullets in my .260 or .300 Savage. At that price I will use it for something but I haven't really got a load worked up for these two calibers yet. Any thoughts? Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Works great in .300 Savage with 165 gr. Nosler Partitions and would think it would in the .30-30 also. I heard that the new manufactor couldn't duplicate it, so it was dropped. I would buy all of it with absolutely no hesitation since I'm down to my last 2 pounds.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe, I'm gonna try it in the 300 Savage. That small case seems to call for a fairly fast powder. This may just be the one. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works really wonderfull in one of my 308's. It has a burn rate almost identical to the 4895's and can be used right up to the 30-06 case and somewhat reduced loads in even the 300 win mag.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote