New
Find
Notify
Tools

silver core alloy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading a book where elk hunters was killing long range elk. using a silver alloy core bullet, Can any one tell me what the purpose is and who makes them.

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vines, this outfit is probably the one you want....http://www.trueshotbullets.com/

Best regards, Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: USA, Virginia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Now we have to deal with Vampire Elk... Big Grin

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
I'VE READ ABOUT THESE BOZO'S THAT SHOOT ELK AT A MILE.

NOW THAT SURE DOES EXEMPLIFY THE TERM HUNTING. AND WE WONDER WHY PEOPLE THAT DON'T HUNT HATE US.

SHOOTING ELK OR ANY OTHER GAME ANIMAL AT A MILE IS NOT HUNTING, IT'S LONG RANGE MURDER.

AND THATS MY 2 CENTS WORTH, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.EXCUSE ME, I FEEL THE NEED TO REGURGITATE.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stinger, I can"t agree with you more. I don"t like to here people say " I'm going to try that shot and see if i can make it" if you are not sure of yourself or the rifle, don't shoot!

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to this website and tell them your views.
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Don't expect a big welcome, these guys are experts at shooting a long distances.

Oh and I wonder if the "match kings are good hunting bullets thread is still around???¿!!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Oh my! Now we have to deal with Vampire Elk... Big Grin

No such thing!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
They are were-elk!!!

You must shoot them at loooong range to give yourself time for followup shots, in case the first shot doesn't drop them, they attack, you know!!! You must not watch to many fantasy movies, huh? Smiler

If I were actively engaged in building or rebuilding ammo, silver compounds are one of the things on my short list of trial media. Not for long range, however, just an alternative to lead. Those bullets look very interesting to try!! Perhaps in a thin jacket, to boost velocity potential.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
hey grizz, do you know the definition of the word "expert"

an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

for the rest. oregon trail bullets are great. i have shot gobs of the in my pistols and am veeeeeeeery satisfied.

the 430gr gc also shoots greeeeeeeat in my 458 win mag.

oregon trail is a class act and they produce excellent products.

try 'em, you'll like 'em.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
I was reading a book where elk hunters was killing long range elk. using a silver alloy core bullet, Can any one tell me what the purpose is and who makes them.
Sounds like a crock, to me! Those "trueshot" bullets are cast slugs. I doubt that they get much use for LONG RANGE ELK HUNTING!!

The LONE RANGER not withstanding, silver makes a pretty poor bullet-casting temperature is too high, don'tcha know!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[http://www.trueshotbullets.com/

This is a cast bullet outfit. Cast bullets are not suitable for high velocity shooting. They are probably a very hard alloy. That would make them unsuitable for hunting, IMHO. They are certainly not suitable for long range hunting.

I can't see how silver has anything to do with it. They do look nice. They look like the ones I used to cast from linotype. I therefore infer that they might be something like linotype with a tiny amount of silver added. I would also speculate that silver/tin solder would be a good source of tin for alloy blending. Maybe these guys tried the no tox solder as a source of tin and found they had beautuful bullets and marketed the silver aspect. If solder was used we would be talking 1 or 2-percent silver. Any significant amount of silver would drive up the cost. I can not see any advantage to adding silver. Lino is too hard for most cast bullet loads as is. Maybe some can enlighten me.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
hey scota4570

who said anything about high velocity? and didn't a fellow by the name of dixon shot an indian off a horse at adobe wells at a mile?

you know if i recollect, it was with a 4...5...7...0. now imagine that. how dare that dumb sob do something like that.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

who said anything about high velocity? and didn't a fellow by the name of dixon shot an indian off a horse at adobe wells at a mile?"
you know if i recollect, it was with a 4...5...7...0. now imagine that. how dare that dumb sob do something like that.

Nope it was a 50 cal. probably a 50-90, in a Sharps rilfe. 1538 yards according to the measurements taken later. It was a lucky shot, by his admission, and has nothing to do with hunting. The bullet would have been traveling about 500 fps on arrival. Hardly an elk killing shot.

If you want to hunt with black powder cartridges pure or close to pure lead is the ticket. You want some expansion. Pure lead swaged bullets, with paper patches are about as good as it gets in my 45-70s. Alloyed bullets tend to not expand. Pure ones flatten and distort but, and due to the cohesion of pure lead, retain most of their mass. Can't beat it for 45-70 velocities. Hard cast are fine for plinking but not so for hunting big game. IMHO.

The thread above was hinting toward the guys who use 50 BMG rifles for elk hunting. That is how I formed my response. Cast bullets would not be suitable for that.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
hey pardner

thanx for the history lesson. i appreciate it. like granpa always said"son, when ya stop learning you might as well go lay down on the train tracks."

the long range elk hunters? that i read about were using 338 cal rifles built on some huge case. as i said before i neither envy nor respect them.

for more info on oregon trails use of silver in their bullets you can go to http://www.laser-cast.com.
i really like their bullets and i use them for handgun hunting deer. 45 colt. ruger bh.

it makes me work a little harder to get in range, but isn't that why they call it hunting?

by the way the hardness of the silver bullets is around 24bhn.

someday i want to purchase a bpcr. just haven't gotten around to it yet. i got a really bad case of quigleyitis when i seen the movie. and i thought laura sangiacomo was cuter than a box of speckled pups. she played that role to perfection.

anyway thanks for the lesson.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL