New
Find
Notify
Tools

375/338 Win. Mag ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having second thoughts about a gun I didnt buy at a recent gun show. It was a converted mauser in 375/338 WM. It looked to be well made with a fairly plain walnut stock, good blueing and no rust or pits. Looked like a 22- 24" barrel. It had iron sights and was not drilled or tapped for scope. It came with RCBS 2 die set plus forming die and trim die. He wanted $425 and said he could shave a little off that if I paid cash. I think I made an oops by not picking it up. Could anyone tell me what velocity one can expect from this cartridge using 260 and 300 bullets? I've never even heard of it before.

Thanks

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
On the left side of the frame on the top of this box, you will see a box that says "Find." Click on that, then scroll to "Advanced Search."

In the top box type in 375 Taylor. Scroll down until you see "Search by:", then scroll down to Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading. High light that script, then press search.

You will see multiple threads on this subject.

And by the way, I probably would have bought the gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks, I've got one of these .375 Taylors, built on a MRC action, #4 Shilen barrel at 23 inches. I'm getting 2700fps+ with 270g Barnes TSX, slightly faster with 260g Accubonds. Reloader 15 is my powder of choice. I have not loaded any 300g bullets for it. The ballistics are at least as good as the .375 H+H. I absolutely love mine. I think it is a MAJOR sleeper in the wildcat world. I have posted range results in the past, so you should be able to find that data with a search of the wildcat forum....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets just say that the 375 Taylor obviates the need for BOTH the 338 Win mag and the 375 H&H.

Does that tell you something?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Basically the same velocity as a 375 H&H. I may see it again at the next gun show. Guns like this usually don't sell that fast around here.

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned, hunted and played with the Taylors, both 416 and 375 and they do almost duplicate the 416 Rem and 375 H&H, but at higher pressure and they are both wildcats..so that pretty much voids them in my book...and inasmuch as all one has to do to have a 416 Rem or a 375 H&H is open the action in back and lengthen the box, why mess with a wildcat..I haul my guns all over the world, so I like the idea of having ammo available if mine is lost and having some resale value, which wildcats do not have....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote