New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why EXTREME?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that Hodgdon advertises their Extreme line of powder to be more resistant to effects caused by adverse hot and cold conditions. Any idea why this is or if there is even that much truth to it?

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a write up sometime back in the gun rags, where they tried different loads at different temperatures, and compared the results between the "Extreme" powders and the regular stuff. I can't remember the magazine, but I do recall the results proved the claims. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
My impression?

Market hype...

I have been reloading since the early 1960's, and shoot in temperatures that range from 125 above to 55 below (F). I have never had any problem with the powder not going "boom" when I pulled the trigger.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the claims to a point. Those powders don't eliminate temperature influences, just minimize them. Also, Hodgdon is not the only company selling such powders.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran a whole set of tests on it.

In some cases, it works very well. In other cases, not well at all. 46 grains of Varget in a 308 gives me very nearly a zero temperature coefficient. But in a 223, the same powder is more temperature sensitive that the military rounds that are sold over the counter.

H4350 has about half the temperature coefficient of AA4350 in my 30-06.

I'm in the middle of a big four factor temperature test, using IMR4350 and H4350 in a 7.62x54R Finnish M39. In that test, there is no detectable difference in temperature coefficients of the powders.

My take on it is that it is better than most powders, but not nearly as good as Hodgdon claims it to be. I use the powder extensively, but regard their advertising as false and misleading.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,
How are you measuring that?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing about them is the meter better, and thats worth a bunch in my camp....If I ever run out of my supply of old surplus 4831, I will stock up on short cut extreme...

I think they are a more stable powder, thats pretty well a proven fact, but then I never had any problems with the other stuff.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've never been persistent enough to test, but there are other manufacturers that claim to have temp stable powders. RL15, Tac and the new Ramshot Hunter are supposed to be stable, too.

My biggest concern with that is that my POI and groups still seem to change with temperature. I suspect it is due to the difference in harmonics in a barrel that is 0F vs. 75F. Even though the MV is close enough that the barrel should still be in the same "node", the "node" has changed due to the barrel characteristics in extremely cold weather.

Coyotes at long range have benefitted from this phenomena in the past...... whatever the reason. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of todays powders are just fine, I think it is pretty much a non issue today....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<dla>
posted
Big difference to me with the 45/70. I like IMR3031 but it is very temp sensitive. My 405gr hunting loads would vary between 1700fps - 1810fps with a 45 degree temperature swing. That is very noticeable with a Guide Gun.

I recently tried H322 at 65 degrees and 40 degrees - no difference in velocity. NADA, ZIP. And my Chrony tells the truth. So I'm in the process of finding a good hunting load with H322, a member of the Extreme family.

Is there a difference? Yes. Is it worth it to me? Yes.