New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua brass opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've heard from some that this is very uniform and HQ brass--can anyone give me opinions on its longevity, relative thickness, and whether the additional cost is justified? Also, what's the best source for Lapua .338 win and 22-250 brass? Thanks!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot on Lapua brass on this site.
a search would probably give you more info than you want.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The Lapua brass is factory annealed for longer life. The flash holes are drilled, not punched, so there is no "burr" inside the flash hole.

The uniformity is top notch. It is worth the money for supreme accuracy, if that's what you're after...

Check pricing at this site...

https://www.eabco.com/Lapua07.html

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought of trying some Lapua brass for my 25/06. As they do not manufacture brass for this cartridge I would need to use 270 or 30/06 brass and neck down. I've never done this, but from what I have read, using the 30/06 brass is the better way to go.

What say ye experts of handloading?

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua is excellent quality brass - I purchased some about two years ago in 30/06 and gave some to a hunting friend to form into 338/06 - again, very high quality - Holmes, yes to the idea of taking the 30/06 to 25/06; results will be just fine with attention to overall length and neck wall thickness - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
I use 6,5x55 LAPUA BRASS and I wouldn't buy anything else..... I am extremyl happy with its quality, price, and long life...... Simply te best brass I have tried.

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
The 100/200 yd benchrest crowd almost universally use Lapua brass in thier BR guns. They form 6PPC from Lapua 220 Russian brass. I think both Norma and Sako provide factory 6PPC brass, but compared to the Lapua, they are considered junk. Those that shoot the longer range BR matches, 600 and 1000yd, use Lapua when every the can. Some even choose the caliber by the availablity of Lapua brass.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
I use the lapua brass and bullet for my benchrest rifle in .308 Win. I woudn't try other brass and bullet.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I am hesitant to post this, because I do not personally know it to be true...

I have been told that Lapua does not in fact make their *belted* brass, but has it made for them under contract by Norma (with the Lapua name on it of course); Lapua makes all their own *non-belted* brass.

It may be true because the 7mm Rem mag Lapua stamped brass I had was good, but not as good as the .222, or 30-06 headsize Lapua brass I have used before. The Lapua-headstamped brass was also the same average weight as the Norma brass I was weighing, for what that is worth.

On the other hand, Lapua .222 Rem brass was so consistent that I could hardly measure the variation in neck thickness, and the cases were so damn uniform in weight that I could not believe it.

Note that the belted brass (whether made by Lapua or by Norma under contract) was still heads and shoulders above Winchester or Remington brass in uniformity of neck thickness and case weight.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<GunGeek>
posted
On the bottom of the box that Lapua brass comes in, it says that their brass is good for at least 10 reloads. I don't think any of the other brass manufacturers make that claim. (Not that I am going to throw away good brass after 10 reloads, assuming it is still good.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use LaPua brass in an ultra accurate Remington 40XB-BRKS in caliber 22 BR! This is one of my favorite Rifles and its consistant accuracy in the Varmint fields is one of the main reasons I like it so much. I have another older Remington 40XB-BR in caliber 22 BR also and it shoots extremely well also with - Remington brass! I do sort my brass and exclude heavy and light brass from my shooting ammo! I want accurate ammo for my arsenal as much or more than most shooters and I have found that sorted brass no matter what make gives me accuracy that I am more than happy with! I have a custom 6mm BR (it is also made from 6mm BR brass like the 22 BR's) and I use Norma 6mm BR brass in it! The main reason I use the 3 different makes of brass (when one brand could do) is for dedication of brass to a particular Rifle. In the heat of battle in a Prairie Dog town brass has a tendency to get temporarily misplaced and mixed around. I find this an easy solution to that problem.
Checking my loading log I now use Sako, Weatherby, Norma, Lapua, Remington (both nickel and brass), Winchester, Federal (both nickel and brass) and I even have some Herters brass still in use. Like I say I get accuracy to my standards from all of them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote