Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? How much is too much velocity
 Login/Join

posted
The listed velocity on the box for Fed. match 168, is 2600 fps. I am getting about 2725 with this ammo. And are getting more velocity with my hand loads than listed in the books I have. About 2775 with 43.5 gr. of 4064. My gun has ben accurized so it has close tolersnces. So how much velocity is too much velocity? Thanks Jeff

Posts: 5 | Location: Naples Fla. | Registered: 25 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a tight chamber and a fast barrel. If you aren't showing pressure signs, just feel good about yourself. The books are references not absolutes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, how long is your barrel? Most loads are listed for 22 to 24inch barrels, if yours is longer you will get higher velocity.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The barrell is 24 1-10 twist.

Posts: 5 | Location: Naples Fla. | Registered: 25 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats more velocity than most, I shoot the same load and even a little stiffer and cannot quite get to 2700 in either of my .308s.. Your chronograph may be a bit off would be my guess, or your not taking an average or I suppose a tight barrel would get you over the 2700 FPS hump but at high pressure and you havn't got a lot of room to spare at 43.5 or 44 grs. without very tight compaction.

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love the 308! Who needs any other .30.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is 2775fps your most accurite loading? I'm guessing your load is about 10% overpressure. Are you happy with your load is the most important question!!

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Sierra 168gr HPBT Match in my .308Win. and try to keep it around 2600fps. I don't have a particularly hefty barrel, and it heats up pretty rapidly so in the interest of barrel longevity I keep it loaded fairly mild. I may merely be getting snake bit. I had to get two new stainless steel barrels for my rifles last year, and it was worse than the heartbreak of psoriasis.
Whew, they aren't cheap. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote