Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody tried IMR "Trail Boss"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, anybody tried IMR "Trail Boss"?

I don't shoot CAS, but I thought this powder looked interesting for other lead bullet applications.

If you've tried it, I would like to know what you think of it.

TIA!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it, cause I CAN'T FIND IT....

Seems like it might work well in my S&W .44 mag, for moderate velocity hard cast LBT loads.

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it for CAS loads in 45 colt. I like it a lot, but it is hard to find. I don't know if it is just so popular, or IMR is having troubles making it in volume, or both. It does burn cleaner than most powders at low CAS pressures. You can double charge a 45 colt case without overflowing, but the bullet won't seat if you do, and the right power level is easy to see in the case.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
I've used it for CAS loads in 45 colt....

It does burn cleaner than most powders at low CAS pressures... Andy

W/ the higher load density of the TB, how does the accuracy compare w/ other powders that you use?

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I've not tested accuracy other than confirming general POI. It's close enough for CAS shooting (when I miss, I don't blame the ammo!), but that probably does not help you.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote