New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Ammo with silver primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester 200-grain Silvertips in .358 Winchester a while back, mainly for the head-stamped brass. When I got them home, I noticed that in both boxes, all rounds were loaded with silver primers.

Seriously, I don't think I have ever seen factory ammo loaded with silver primers (except Buffalo Bore, which is really just custom loaded ammo). Now I wonder if I really bought someone's reloads. It really doesn't matter, 'cause I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and stuck my powder and bullets back in them.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory loads have had different coloed primers over the years. Win primers used to be silver. Rems have always (that I know of) have been brass/bronze colored. The newer Wins that I have purchased have been copper colored.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, only Remington and Winchester are brass color, and I still have several hundred Winchester LRP that are still silver before they converted several years ago. All Federal is silver primers as is CCI, I believe. Nosler and SSA ammo is all silver primers.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno all the factory primers i ever had were in the rim Big Grin old

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory 30-06 in my "inventory" :

WW 180 PP (yellow box), silver.
" (silver box), brass.
Fed 180 Premium, silver.
" Power Shok, silver.
Rem 178 Extended Range, brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote