New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Herters Scale
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
My powder scale is an old Herters oil-dampned modle. I use it mostly for nostalgia's sake and it compliments my antiquated Herters press nicely. Anyhow, last night a picture fell off the wall and smacked the scale. The razor thin wire that the beam balances on snapped! And I'm left wondering what to do.

Might a local gunsmith carry this part? Any ideas on how to rig my own? Am I SOL?

You wisdom is appreciated... [Confused]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I broke mine carelessly once (too dumb to think up the "picture falling off the walll story" <G>Wink and I bought a guitar string at a music shop, get the fine "E" string. Of course the best thing is that I didn't put it on right away, then when I next needed the scale I couldn't find where I'd put the #^%$^%$ string, so I used a piece of stranded copper wire out of an electrical cord, just used one strand of it, and that worked for a few days until the other string turned up.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herter's built a stout press didn't they? Nothing today can compare. My brother has one my grandfather handed down to him. It is four times the press my RCBS is. Probably overbuilt!

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Have a Herter press, a 3M I think it is, and it weighs just shy of a ton. Have used it for all rifle loads since 1960 - many thousands, and it appears to be indestructable. Moved my scale away from overhanging picture. A very educational forum, indeed.

<waldog>
posted
Okay, I haven't had a spare moment to go by the music store and get an E string, so I thought I'd try that strand of copper wire. No luck, couldn't find a wire that was made from strands that thin. Found one that was aluminum strands or something, but they weren't strong enough.

Sooo..... you've heard about necessity being the mother of invention? Well I got the notion to use dental floss!!! [Big Grin] And guess what?!! It works!!! [Eek!] Well actually I had to use a half strand to fit it though the hole. I've just really out done myself this time.

ROTFLMAO

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey what a brainstorm that one was! Now promise to post when it breaks, if it ever goes. I'm curious to see whether it lasts 2 days or is still going strong 3 years down the road....

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gang - good stuff dental floss - I use it to repair leather goods when the original stitching just rots away. I first double it and then thread the needle - mainly because it's so thin that you can. It's become a permanent addition to the safety kit in my rucksack - never know when I might have to stitch someone up.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote