New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Equipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would I need to begin to reload/handload? I know I need a press and dies, but what about these de-burring tools I've heard of and other little stuff like that? What else would I need?

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
what you "need" (in terms of minimum)...

Press (and shell holder)
Dies
Scale (go ahead and get a digital one)
powder funnel
case trimmer (appropriate sized collet & pilot)
priming device (some attach to the press)
and yes, one of those deburring tools.
loading blocks are nice and you can get them for a few bucks.

I clean primer pockets after soaking the brass in vinegar with a q-tip.

Beyond that, there are a host of extras available, but that's really all you need.

Now...

If I were making suggestions for product specifics, and assuming that you're reloading metallic cartridges. Here's what I'd reccomend as sort of "best of breeds."

Lee Classic "Cast Press" (as good as the others at about 1/2 the price.) and big enough for even the 50BMG.

Forster Co-Ax Primer (it'll prime anything from .22 center fires to shotgun shells)

PACT digital scale (Yes, they are worth it!... digital is the only way to go).

Forster "Classic" case trimmer (big enough for the NE calibers)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't come across as a smart alleck, because that is not my intent, but the first thing you need to start reloading is to get a reloading manual or two and read through them thoroughly until you understand the steps involved in reloading. Once you do that, then you'll know what you need.

For a minimum outlay of cash you can get a Lee anniversary kit. It's fully capable of making safe and accurate ammo, though in time you'll want to upgrade a few of the items.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Paul's is a very good point. Obviously I was more focused on the hardware involved, but working knowledge before begining is a must.

Most manuals will give you mechanical basics and most powder mfgs have loading data available online.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
As I've said to many others...

The ABC's of Reloading
Read it, and other manuals, then focus on your hardware.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One of the things I wish I had bought a lot sooner is the Head & Shoulders headspace guage by Stoney Point. It will keep you from oversizing brass. Might keep you from oversizing about 800 rounds of brass, not that I have ever done that or anything.....

Posts: 16 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Or save your money and just smoke a case with a candle and use it to set your die.

thumb

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote