New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the difference between 7mm-08 and 7x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a real difference between the 7-08 and the 7x57? In terms of performance, amount of powder needed to get a certain performance?

I have had my heart set on buying a CZ 7x57, but I saw a very nice Tikka in 7-08 this weekend. Tikka doesn't carry 7x57. The data I have seen shows the 7-08 to be a bit faster than the Mauser in most bullet weights. Is this still true with bullets in the 170 grain range?

Thanks

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you hand load you well find very little diferants between the two. Us factory loads for th 7x57 are on the weak side. Buy the rifle you like the best. Both well do just fine.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The difference between the 7mm/'08 and the 7X57mm Mauser is the same as the difference between the .243 Win. and the 6mm Remington, the .260 Remington and the 6.5X57mm mauser, etc., etc. There is little practical, useful difference in performance, BUT the 57mm Mauser case holds just a little more powder than the 51mm NATO case. In all cases, the ultimate, MAX velocity attainable in any caliber is achieved by the case which holds more powder. This is when each different case is loaded with the same bullets, loaded to the same pressures, and fired from identical barrels. Of course, such conditions never really exist, they are only available theoretically.

The main real advantage I see between these two is that the 7X57 will handle longer, heavier bullets better because: A. It has a longer neck, so long bullets encroach less on the space available for powder; B. It is usually chambered in actions having a longer magazine.

If you plan to use bullets of 150 grains or less, use either one. If you want to use bullets of 160 to 195 grains, get a 7X57!! [Big Grin]

[ 11-10-2003, 18:58: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some of both, and, if we're talking about downrange results there is not one iota of difference between the two. None. And the story that 7x57's handle higher weight bullets better is bullshit too. Buy whichever one scratches your itch and you will have a rifle for everything in the new world except (maybe) elk and the great bears. If a 7mm whatever was my only rifle, I'd load it up with a good 160gr bullet and go elk hunting. Knowing that I was somewhat limited in range. But then, I've never shot an elk at too much over 100 yards so that wouldn't be a real problem. Enjoy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

7X57 would be able to launch bullets in a higher velocity or with lower pressures than the 7-08. which bullet weight your gun would be able to shot depends on the twist.

The 7X57 is a classic round that has a reputation that the 7-08 never will be able to catch up with [Smile] [Smile] The selection of factory ammo is greater in 7X57 than the 7-08.

Now, just wait untill Atkinson get hold of this thread [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clement,

In the real world about 100 FPS in favor of the 7x57, if it is loaded to the same pressures as the 7mm08.

So the 7x57 is more classic (whatever that means), and 7mm08 is more modern (whatever...).

The real difference is the 7mm08 will work on a slighly shorter/maybe lighter action, than will the 7x57.

Have short action go with the 7mm08, long(er) action 7x57. If you had neither, buy a real long action (3.330" COL length), and chamber for the 280 Remington (or 7x64mm if you are from the other side of the pond), which is about 100 FPS faster again.

Confused, me too. Comparing whether the 7mm08, or 7x57 or 280 (or 7x64MM also) is "best", or "more modern" or most "classic", is like arguing how "many fairies can dance on the head of a pin".

Any of the three, will kill the same game, at the same sensible ranges, as the other will.

Superiority, if any, of one over the other, is best left to world of imagination.

Ford or Chevy or Dodge???

My choice, I built a 7mm08 on a Sako AII action. Works fine, thank you.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the 3 (er 4).

Bob

[ 11-10-2003, 22:12: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a M98, go with the 7x57 it fits the action better.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If the 7-08 has a long throat so longer bullets don't have to be shoved into the powder room than it is on a par with the 7x57. If it doesn't it's a retard. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Well

7X57 would be able to launch bullets in a higher velocity or with lower pressures than the 7-08. which bullet weight your gun would be able to shot depends on the twist.

The 7X57 is a classic round that has a reputation that the 7-08 never will be able to catch up with [Smile] [Smile] The selection of factory ammo is greater in 7X57 than the 7-08.

Now, just wait untill Atkinson get hold of this thread [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

Johan, I'll agree that the 7x57 is a classic, but hardly think it's reputation is so great that the 708 will not surpass it, I think the 708 did that along time ago, if it was there would be more manufacturers that would chamber it in their rifles, The selection of factory ammo is greater in 7x57 than 708, maybe in Sweden, but not in the U.S.A. I can't remember the last time I saw a box of 7x57 on the store shelves, the 708 is a more efficient round and in my opinion is the best cartridge ever thought of, but thats just me, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JOHAN:
[qb]Well

"I can't remember the last time I saw a box of 7x57 on the store shelves, the 708 is a more efficient round and in my opinion is the best cartridge ever thought of, but thats just me, Jay"

Jay, The reason you don't see a lot of 7x57 ammo on dealers' shelves isn't because the 7-08 is a better cartridge or more efficient. It has to do with the fact that no marketing group from any American arms manufacturor ever tried to make the cartridge popular in this country.
Early in the game when money became more available to buy stuff (guns included)the marketing effort was on the .270, .257,and 30-06 as main stays.When WWII ended .270 & 30-06 were still the attension getters. When in the 50s our military adopted their new cartridge Winchester took advantage of the situation and marketed their new .308 Winchester. The military dersigned it for a relatively light short cartridge and that's what it and all it's offspring are good for.
With enough hype and advertising the arms companies can make large numbers of the shooting populous believe that they are now offering, the newest high tech designs, the most efficient perfomance, and superior accuracy. The 7-08 falls into that catagory.
If you loaded both the 7-08 and the 7m/mx57 in rifles designed for each with 175gr. bullets the results would be obvious. With each bullet seated out as far as magazine and throating restrictions allowed the 7m/mx57 could be safely loaded with a good bit more powder.Hands down for reloaders the 7m/mx57 is a more versatile cartridge.
I feel I've been too windy already. This could go on a lot longer as this discussion is multi facited but I now stop. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"a relatively light short cartridge"
should be a relatively light short bullet.oppppps [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartshe, you say the 7x57 will hold more powder than the 7-08 but then it needs to in order to match the latter. The 6mm Rem holds more powder than a .243 but the performance of the two cartridges is virtually the same. Its the same with the 7x57 and the 7-08. This was my point in my first post. I bought a 7x57 simply because I was tired of the bullshit from the trolls that had never owned either one and wanted to see for myself. The load books I have, hornady, speer, sierra, hodgdon, seem to take a rather conservative view of the 7x57. And I guess so considering all of the old war relics floating about. My rifle however, is a modern turn bolt. Anyway, I would work up a load to a max book value in the 7-08. I would then match the velocity in the 7x57. This meant exceeding the max value in the books but I had no pressure signs. I did this with 140's, 145's, 150's and 160's. The 7-08 handled the longer bullets with aplomb and with the shorter bullets, the accuracy of the 7x57 which was rather long throated was very satisfactory. This is why I said buy whichever scratched your itch. If you're a modern, get the 7-08; if you're a traditionalist, get the 7x57. My 7x57 happens to be on a mark x (mauser) action with a full length mannlicher stock and a butter knife handle. I may just have to keep it a while just for old times sake.............but then, my first 7-08 was made up while they were still wildcats and it has one of the prettiest pieces of wood on it you've ever seen so I can't let it go. Plus its a tack driver.
That's your answer, get one of each. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Beeman, I believe that you believe what you wright. The laws of physics are such that pressure times volume relates to the available work. If the pressures and everything else are the same but the volumes are different, there is more potential available work with the larger volume.In the case of long bullets eating up that volume the differential between the two becomes greater. [Smile] I think butter knife bolt handles are gorgious but the two that I made hurt my hand. Thet are nice to look at though. I'll give you a little chuckle and display my 7m/mx57 scout I built some day. roger