Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple Shock Seating ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted
I picked up a box of the Barnes Triple Shocks the other day.They came with a pamplet inside saying if the seating deapth hit on one of the grooves you could crimp into it even though it isn't a crimping groove.

Do you any of you crimp these bullets into the grooves?
How much crimp?
Would it be ok to load without crimping even if the seating deapth is in the middle of one of grooves?

Thanks.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't seat with a crimp for any of my bottlenecked rifle cartridges, never found a need to do so, even for heavy hitters. I can't imagine I'll crimp for the 3-x bullets either.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
When I load them in my .338 the neck of the case is close enough to crimp into a groove if I wanted to. I don't, so I don't. I've never crimped rifle cases (excluding straight walled cases), and see no reason to start now.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded and shoot 2 or 3 boxes, I did not crimp, I'm not much on crimping with exception to my 416 rigby. I would not worry about crimping. I would load um and shoot um.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 300wsm the 150grn tsx lacked about .025 from covering the groove. I just seated the bullet that much deeper and it actually tightened up the group. Put me about .076 off the lands.
Which as I'm sure most know, Branes seem to do better seated a little deeper.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the seating depth, I seat about 50k off, which I think is barnes recommnedation.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just seat mine and have never had to crimp to get excellent accuracy. Are you shooting a magnum, why are you wanting to crimp?

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote