New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neede some help finding a load for a 6MM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can not find a load for a Remington 6MM 700 BDL Timmny triger glasss bedded.
I have tried several powders I have found good loads for my other rifles , I am about to sell the gun , I would rather make it shoot, I just found a recomendation for BL-C[2] in 243 I really like the powder maybe it can help .
Thanks
Bill

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

5 shots, 200 yards

Bullet: Sierra 85 Grain HPBT
Powder: 43.2 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Remington 9-1/2
Case: Remington
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 3x9
Velocity: 3128 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith shoots 6mmBR. I'll email him and ask for his loading. Can you wait a few days for him to reply to me and me to get his reply to you? He's usually pretty quick, but he's running the shop now by himself after his partner's serious bicycling accident.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damned good shooting, rick!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill r:
I can not find a load for a Remington 6MM 700 BDL Timmny triger glasss bedded.
I have tried several powders I have found good loads for my other rifles , I am about to sell the gun , I would rather make it shoot, I just found a recomendation for BL-C[2] in 243 I really like the powder maybe it can help .
Thanks
Bill

Bill, What grain bullet do you want to shoot in this rifle?
With 87 Hornady HPs I'm using 47.5grs. RE19 with pretty decent results, 39.5grs. H4895 with 75 Sierras works very well, also. Both loads will put 5 shots around 1/2" @100yds. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well, my two cents will get me to use IMR 4895 for light loads with light bullets. But for the heavy fast long distance loads I use either IMR 4831 or 4350 which ever groups better. Similar burning rate powders will preform in a similar fashion. Don't give up on the best 6mm cartridge (6mm Remington.)

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill,

My gunsmith wants to know
A) what make, model and weight of bullet you plan to use;
B) the rifling rate of your barrel;
C) what make and model of rifle you're using and
D) what are your expectations of performance for this rifle.

He can tell you right down the nittiest of the gritties what you need if you'll provide the above information. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel
expectations 1/2 inch - 100 yards
speer 87 grain
I am open to change bullets
thanks
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried 15 powders in my 6mm Remington ( 244 )...

It has a one in 7 twist....

I was using one of my favorite 6mm varmint bullets... the 75 grain HP Hornady.. Accurate, cheap, explosive

Almost all of the powders were more than minute of prairie dog out to 300 yds, except H 4895...

The very last load I tested was 47.5 grains of H 414...ONE HOLE only! 5 shot group!

Went home reloaded the ammo, this time reloaded 15 with that load.... 3 groups of 5 shots... once again ONE HOLE...

Needless to say, this rifle has stumbled across its main diet for the rest of this barrel's lifespan....

All the other powders except the H 4895 did close to what Steve Riccardelli posted above...

This was with a scope set on 6 power, and tested at 50 yds to see what group shot best...
Then I go to a 100 yds, and then 200..

the H 414 shot the best... IN fact just got home tonight with a couple of more pounds of it just for that very rifle...

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried H414 got a 5 inch group I tried BL-C[2] today only had 4 with me shot a 0.40 so I may have the answer .
THank for your help
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6mm Rem. -- A remington 700 Varmint Special; the heavy barreled one; an older model with the pressed-checkering wood stock -- is persnickety about powder. The only thing I've found that works well in it is IMR 4064. I get best accuracy with the 70 grain Sierra Matchking bullet or Berger bullets from about 65 to 90 grains.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote