New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading winchester brass-crimp
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
I have an 8mm mauser (yugo M48a) that I reload for. Have been using Remington brass with good results. Recently, I purchased another mauser (VZ24) and in interest of keeping brass for each rifle separate, I bought a box of Winchester factory loads to use in the new gun, mainly for accuracy test purposes.
Now, for whatever reason, Winchester chose to crimp the piss out of the case mouth on this round. When I ran them through my sizing die, the wrinkle in the neck is still there. Is this going to cause me pressure problems (spike) with my loads, or will this just iron out? I have never seen this on factory ammo before, only surplus stuff (non-reloadable).

It is about a 1/16th off the case mouth, so I don't think I can trim it off without shortening the case too much.

Thanks,

CAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Winchester in my 8mm Yugo and .30-06 and I've noticed the same crimp marks. They don't iron out with shooting, but they don't seem to harm anything either. In fact after about 2-3 case trimmings they disappear.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry! I've shot a zillion rds of brass like you described with zero problems.
Lee for one sells a "factory crimp" die where you can crimp this ring BACK into your brass as you load if you like. Not that I'm suggesting "over crimping" but anyway, don't worry about this little ring. It no more deadly than a bathtub ring.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote