THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Shooting split groups. Bedding or bullet seating?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting split groups. Bedding or bullet seating?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
I am consistently shooting five shot groups into 3/4-1 inch. Generally it will be 3 shots into .4 and the other two will open the group to the 3/4. I am shooting a 17 Remington from a sporter weight barrel, however it isn't the first three that group together. I could be any of the three out of the five.

Could it be the bedding of the rifle or possibly a bullet seating problem? Any other possibilities.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a problem similar to that,....my bedding around the recoil lug had worn a little,..and that was the result.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Seating depth

Bedding

Scope wacky

Action screws loose

If you have a proven load for that rifle, try it out...If it shoots fine, then it is the load..

If it shoots poorly, then it is one of the other. Try action screws/scope/bedding in that order..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse
It's a new rifle with a proven scope and I am in the process of finding an accurate load for it. Everything is tight, but seating depth is a definite possibility.

It is more of a hunting rifle than a varminter. So the 3/4 to 1 inch group would work. I just can't help but chase the tiny groups that I think this rifle is capable of. There are a couple of loads that put three shots into less than 3/8"

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote