Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Load development opinions for 7mm Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Hodgdon manual maxes at 42.5 grains and Lee goes from 43.6-49 grains, both with a 160 gr. bullet.

I'm still 4 grains below the Lee maximum, no signs at all of pressure problems,

Not by my copy of Lee #2, you ain't. You're reading Accurate Arms XMR-4350 and loading H-4350.

That ain't good, atall.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A man after my own heart, or at least "great minds think alike!" I use the exact method for reloading. Why 'chance' possible rifle destruction, or worse, for a few more fps?
If you need more, get a bigger gun! capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Well now you bring up another interesting question, Hodgdon only goes up to 45,400 CUP, Lee's loads go to 48,500 CUP. Now I know that means copper unit pressure, but can't find anyone to give me a formula for converting CUP to PSI. Is that similar to string theory?

That's because C.U.P. cannot be converted to PSI, because the relationships between the two measurements are different from one cartridge to the next. For example, in the .45/70, they are essentially the same!

<eldeguello>
posted
I don't know how long your chamber throat is, but I have developed a load in my two long-throated Rugers that drive a 160-grain Nosler Partition at +2800 FPS using IMR 4350, and this is not an unusual load in any respect for the 7X57mm. 2700 is a very realistic velocity for a 150-grain bullet from the 7X57's. Mine get this speed using 50 grains of IMR 4350 with the Nosler 150-grain BT, and it is a VERY mild load! BUT, the increase in velocity you'd get might not be accompanied by as nice groups as your present loads. So you might be better off staying where you are now.