New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shotgun shells reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The MEC Grabber is the 650 with a resizing stage, its just a few bucks more.
I get more reloads out of the Remington sts then I do the AAs and reload both.
I like the pink wads either the AA or the cheaper Claybuster, I load 1 oz.
Clays powder is about the cleanest, but there are many choices out there.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you very, very much to all. I am better informed to make a better decision on what to buy, unfortunately I can't see the presses in person I live in Maui and there is no reloading supplies stores, everything has to be ordered.
I consider what Dutch said about just buying over the counter (cheaper than reloading) but then again the stores carry limited variety of shells, again everything has to be ordered and for explosives everything takes a month to get here since it has to come in a boat or pay prohibitive prices to ship via UPS air. What I usually do with my reloading supplies for metallic cases is I buy cases of primers and big kegs of powder and when I am running low I order more months in advance that is for explosives the rest of the supplies (bullets, cases, etc) I order from MidwayUSA.
I don't mind paying more for something better specially if I am going to use it for years to come; if I understood you guys right the Ponsness/Warren is expensive but better than the MEC so I am going to look into the PW presses.
Again thank you for all your help, if there is any other tips you guys can share please do.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hobie brings up a good one also, the MEC 600 JR is hard to beat and can be had for around 100 bucks.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Steve has got it right (as usual). If you're shooting clays the MEC 650 would be the best value. I loaded for many thousands of rounds at skeet on a MEC 600 Jr. and a progressive would have been very nice. However, even with all the use my 2 600 Jr.s have lasted 30+ years each. Steve's load is a well proven one. Before steel we used to use it with #5 shot for puddle ducks.

There are a couple of excellent books out there which will be a help to you. One of the best is "Reloading for Shotgunners" by Kurt Fackler, M. L. McPherson, Kurt D. Fackler, Mic McPherson. I believe this is published by the people who publish "Gun Digest". You might also be interested in "MEC Shotshell Reloading Secrets" by Jonathan M. Rozek.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a non-progressive tool the MEC Sizemaster is hard to beat. You can get them for 160$ or less. IMHO it is a better tool than the 600 series. I have one in 10,12,20, and 28 ga; I have never had problems with any of them. The PW is a nicely made machine but way more expensive. I would buy the progressive MEC before I would buy the PW.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote