New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing lanolin after sizing...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have re-sized a large number of .223 cases with Dillon Case Lube and want to load them on a progressive press. Any thoughts about how to get the lanolin off the cases other than tumbling? I have thought about acetone, MEK, etc., but am unsure what it will do to the brass. I don't want to tumble because the corn cob is going to hang in the flash holes...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The acetone or the MEK won't hurt the brass. Denatured alcohol or mineral spirits will also work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Rag, like an old T shirt

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of work polishing each shell. Can't we use One Shot spray and avoid touching the brass again after beginning its trek along the progesssive press?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I discovered that a quick bath in hot tap water will remove the lanolin, and if I am judicious about drying the cases, there is no tarnish from the impurities in the tap water. So far, so good!

I have used Hornady One Shot but was out of it, and opted for the Dillon case spray at the insistence of a fellow handloader. It is going to work, is just a bit of an adjustment!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it necessary to clean the One Shot or Dillon spray off the case before placing the primer or powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS case lube is lanolin.
Not as good a lube as the Redding Imperial die wax.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Redding Imperial Die Wax need to be wiped off the case before proceeding?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You do not need to remove the lubricant during the loading process. Especially when using a progressive press.
However... you should remove any lube before firing your loaded ammo.
All the above mentioned ways to remove the lubricant will work. I prefer to use a shop towel with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have equipped small plastic cutting boards with 80mm brass screws and some additional drainage holes. The shells are placed on the screws heads down. Then I put them in the dishwasher.

Case cleaning can be sooooo easy ... dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McFox, that is very ingenious and sounds very practical, but at over 5k pieces, I would be buying a lot of cutting boards and screws, or be involved with this cleaning process a lot longer than I wish to be!

I may do that for some of the other calibers, but not the .223... I have six one gallon Zip-Locs full of once fired brass to full length size and trim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5k ????? I am full of compassion for you.

And remember ... keep on resizing! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the thought... But I got the brass at "the nice price", which basically meant come get it. This is all LC stuff with no crimped primers, and all of it was shot in Bushmasters as qualification ammunition. There was a 55-gallon drum of it and 9MM there. I took 2-1/2 5-gal buckets, and sorted brass for three days. Everything is clean now and I am sizing, using a Giraud trimmer to trim, de-burr and chamfer. Quit an electric trimmer. Check it out: http://www.giraudtool.com, if memory serves.

I just felt that with brass being as high as it is now, my time is much cheaper, and I can just prep cases and put them up. I don't see loading over ~1k at a time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble the cases for 20 minutes in pitch free, dry saw dust. Then I clean the primer pockets and inspect the cases outside for defects and inside for debri (you'd be surprised how much debri (lint, dirt, cleaning media, etc) can still be in cases.

Many times if the cases are good and already inspected I load them with the lube on then tumble for the 20 minutes (10 minutes in vibrator) in the sawdust to remove the lube. The tumbling of the live ammo hurts nothing and is not dangerous.

It works great for me.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Appreciate the thought... But I got the brass at "the nice price", which basically meant come get it. This is all LC stuff with no crimped primers, and all of it was shot in Bushmasters as qualification ammunition. There was a 55-gallon drum of it and 9MM there. I took 2-1/2 5-gal buckets, and sorted brass for three days. Everything is clean now and I am sizing, using a Giraud trimmer to trim, de-burr and chamfer. Quit an electric trimmer. Check it out: http://www.giraudtool.com, if memory serves.

I just felt that with brass being as high as it is now, my time is much cheaper, and I can just prep cases and put them up. I don't see loading over ~1k at a time.

FIVE THOUSAND? Throw them all up in the air; God will let what you deserve fall back to earth and keep the rest.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt mind someone giving me a 55 gal drum of LC brass! That stuff is expensive these days!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Imperial Sizing Die wax since the early 1970s (yes, direct from the inventor's shop) and never worried about wiping the lanolin away in thousands of rounds of handgun ammo and rifle ammo. You can use a tumbler or an old T shirt if you want to, but much of the original reason for the Imperial mix was to get away from the petroleum based sizing greases (STP comes to mind) which could definitely kill primers if not removed from the sized case.
LLS

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good old Walmart spray carburetor cleaner works really good and cheap.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote