THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Help......Load data for Speer 100 grn. Plinker bullet in 30/06 spring. needed

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help......Load data for Speer 100 grn. Plinker bullet in 30/06 spring. needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Just picked up a box of 100 grn. .308 dia Speer "Plinker" bullets in a batch trade.
They are 50% jacketed 50% lead round nose. Anyone load for the 06 with these ever?
I suppose they would be good for fireforming new brass?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI have a good bit of data with surpluse powder driving that bullet to 3200 fps. with fair accuracy.here is some loads with commercial powder.
  • 12.2 gr. Blue Dot, 1500 fps., 6 shot 3/4" group at 50 yds.
  • 24.6gr. Accurate #9, 2250 fps.Deadly at 200 yds.
  • 19.2gr. 4756, 2000 fps. good 50 yd. group.

• 56.2gr. BL-C(2), 3225 fps, 3 shot 1" group. 50 yds. This was a carbine FMJ bullet. The Speer plinker may or may not hold up at that twist and velocity. Try it and see. So far the reduced loads with this bullet seem to work best

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    fishingFYI,

In the .308 that bullet has been accurately pushed at 2600 fps with a load of 4759. That was the fastest that was tried in that rifle. It is suspected that the bar could be raised to a higher velocity and still maintain accuracy of some sort.???? holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'm interested too! Have not used a 100 gr in any of my '06s.

bartsche: What surplus powders and loads? I have several surplus powders on hand.

Thanks guys,
    Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'd recommend against it for fireforming

I've done a fair ammount of fireforming 30-06 cases
    and I'd strongly recommend using heavier bullets for that job.

the heavier bullet allows a greater pressure/time
    for forming the case.

My preference when fireforming is for heavy for caliber bullets (180-200gr in the '06) along with a fairly heavy charge of medium speed propellant (4064 or IMR4895)

I have a fairly large supply of old Herters semi-spitzers
    (almost a truncated cone shape) and "semi-Round nose"
    bullets that I seat to the lands.

Brass forms PERFECTLY every time.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
    Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    WinkFirst off ADG is right about light bullets vs. heavy bullets and fire forming,

Some surplus powder loads.

• 57gr. wcc846 3300 fps. accuracy only so-so at 50 yds.
  • 51gr 7383, some unburned powder, but repeatability not all bad.
  • 42gr. 8208, nice plinker.
  • 52 gr. wcc846., 3000fps. nice group at 50 yds.
  • 44gr Turk 8mm powder, 2850 fps. Not all bad.
  • 36gr. T680, 2150 fps., soot, 5 shot 2" group at 50 yds.

popcornroger

•  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    gad this brings back memories - when we were in high school we'd buy 4831 for about 40 center a pound. we fill a 06 case with it, stick a plinker in it take our m-1's out and go jackrabbit hunting. Didn't hit to many, don't even know whether or not the bullet was going straight or sideways, but it sure as hell was fun

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I think they make great varmint bullets.
    In 30-06 try:
    25.0gr 2400
    44.0gr IMR 3031
    54.0gr IMR 4895
    They also tend to do better when driven fast.