New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloding from existing cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have still not been able to aquire any powder for my .454casull but after chasing down some information from Fiocchi, a big Italian ammo manufacturer, I discovered that they use Vhita Vuori V110 know as "Chimera???" in their .357mag loads.
My manual reccomends this powder in the csaull, so can I assume it safe to dismantle some .357 shells to be able to finally load some .454's?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I would not call it safe. To change cailbers with the powder now if you want to load 357 with it I say ok. Manufactures change powder all the time with out telling any one. If I did this I sure would start out on the very low end and be very carefull on working my way up.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
NO!!!

I don't know for sure about european ammo manufacturers, but the commercial loaders in the US, do not use commercial powders, and I expect the European manufacturers to do the same. The powders they use are actually manufactured to less stringent tollerances of burn rates / time pressure curves, and each lot of powder requirs a specific load work up by the ammo manufacturer.

So, if you were to dissasemble the 357 ammo, the powder you would have should not be used with loading data for canister grade powder, ie what we buy, as it will most likely have a different burn rate then the powder used in the published data.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not NO, Express...HELL NO. My friend you should NEVER assume you know what powder someone else is using!

Beg, borrow or steal you some of the RIGHT powder for this pistol and stop trying to second guess things on this issue. [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Considering that i have found the following powders suitable for the .454, why do something foolish?

3N-37
700-X
800-X
AA-1680
AA-5744
AA-9
AP-70N
AR-2205
Blue Dot
Bullseye
Enforcer
H-110
H-4227
HP-38
HS-6
HS-7
IMR-4227
Lil'Gun
N-105
N-110
Titegroup
True Blue
Unique
Universal
W-231
W-296
W-540
W-571

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider that the ONLY powders availiable here are H110 & V110, and They are apparently very diffucult to find(?)...That's why I got so desperate. In any case, I decided against it and am just going to wait until the H110 arrives to my dealer.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<dodgyrog>
posted
Hi Aussie,
I sell Vhit 110 in the UK.
As we're all in the Common Market can I send (sell/swap) some to you.
Email me: dodgyrog1@excite.com