Tools

Can I use .308 brass in a 7-08?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

As per the title.

Can I use .308 brass without neck turning etc?

Thanks

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have, but you may have to trim. I have also used 308 for my 260 without turning.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless you have a tight 7-08 chamber you should be ok. Like was said you might have to trim.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been able to use Remington, Winchester and LC 308 brass in my 7-08. The Federal brass I have would require neck turning.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fellas

Just what I was after.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure neck diameter on a (7mm-08) case fired in your chamber. Call this "dimension 1"

Now measure neck diameter of a necked-down .308 case (of the brand you wish to use) with a bullet seated. "Dimension 2".

If "Dimension 2" <= "Dimension 1" - .002", you can use the .308 brass in question without neck turning.

In principle, nobody can tell you whether the above will be the case for YOUR chamber with the brass YOU want to use. So to be safe, you should measure. Often, though, (factory) chambers are pretty ample in the neck diameters...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mike

Great info

Thanks

Jon

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Maximum neck diameter of a loaded round is listed at .315"

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I began reloading 7mm-08 6 months or so ago. Read posts saying OK to just resize 308, nothing else needed.

Resized 308 Remington, Federal, Winchester brass to 7mm-08, reloaded it and went to range to shoot it.

long story short...learned only Winchester brass didn't need neck turning....that Remington and Federal had thicker brass in neck.

Discovered this by trying to insert a 7mm (.284) bullet into mouth of fired Federal and Remington brass I'd resized and discovered bullet wouldn't go in. But with spent Winchester brass, bullet easily went into neck.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use this to end up with a case with a thicked neak to compensate for a larger than normal neck in a chamber or if you just want to turns the necks to fit the neck tighter. I read on some of the forums were the target shooter in OZ and NZ that are shooting GI 303's make there cases form 30-40 Krag as they have a larger neck thickness. I know people that shoot 22-250 Rem that form them from 243Win cases to end up with tighter necks.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Dear all

As per the title.

Thanks

Jon

Ive done it, you wont have to trim since the case length of the 308 is quite a bit shorter than the 708 case.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote