THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Just got my new PACT digital scale and dispenser

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got my new PACT digital scale and dispenser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After my Lyman DPS1200 went south I asked on here opinions on dispensers. Only one recommended the PACT but being it was made in the USA that was all I needed. I went to their website and ordered. After two weeks I saw they still did not bill my debit card so I called. A very polite man informed me they had to get a new supplier for the key pads and as soon as they arrived they would be put in the units that were built and waiting. That was about two weeks ago.

Tonight I came home from work to find my unit was here. I have just read the instructions, set the unit up and gave it a test run. Here is my report.

Instructions were very easy to understand.

Calibrating the scale and dispenser was easy.

Scale is VERY sensitive.

It often does take the first throw to get adjusted every time you change powder weights. Once that is done it appears dialed in for that weight.

I have a couple things I am not thrilled about.

It does not come with any cover like my Lyman did so I need to rig something to cover the scale with to keep dust off of it when not in use as my den is dusty.

To empty you just hold your fingers over the ends of the dispensing tubes and dump the powder out. I found this awkward but I guess I will get used to it.

The dispenser is 9v and the scale is 12v but the plugs are the same. Care must be given to not cross them up. I will color code them to prevent a mix up.

That is all for now but as I get to actually use it for a reloading session I will report any more findings.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
When I got mine one adaptor and cord was white the other was black. I wrote white and black on the side next to the input. My only operational complaint is that I can't seat bullets while it runs. The scale doesn't like the bench shaking. One of these days I'll try puting it on a card table but I'm not sure that the ten minutes I'd save seating 50 rounds would be worth the ten minutes getting the card table out.

I think my scale came with a cover. I'll see if its in the box when I get home. I have never used it.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am not as picky as some other people. I just keep the scale and dispenser nestled together and throw an old T-shirt over them when I am done. I never remove the plugs from the units I just unplug the transformers from the wall sockets when finished. No fuss no muss no bother. I have never found it necessary to plug the ends of the tubes to empty the reservoir - just tip and empty from the opposite side.

On the other hand, I found that if I left the units on the same bench with my presses I had more errors or had to wait between the time I stopped shaking the bench until the time the units would settle. I bought a small deal table that I use just for the PACT units-- it was cheap and it is very easy to move if I need to do that.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
amamnn,
I just threw a rag over mine also. I could leave mine puged into the unit and unplug the transformers and may try that once I get the outlets put in the wall behind the bench. Right now they are plugged into a plug strip.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I also use a power strip to turn them off if I'll have them on my bench for more than a day. My bench is too small to leave them out full time.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
I just recently built a new bench. It is 3 foot deep by 8 foot long. Lot's of room for even my laptop and printer. Once I get the cabinets and shelf's up so I can put my dies and some other things in I will have even more room on it.
This is a dedicated reloading bench also. I clean guns in another room on another bench.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, Did you happen to notice if "Air Currents" from the Heater/Air Conditioner cycling had an effect on it?

I have two El Cheapo electronic scales I use to Weight Sort and even moving my hand by them quickly is enough to "confuse" them for a bit.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Don, Did you happen to notice if "Air Currents" from the Heater/Air Conditioner cycling had an effect on it?

I have two El Cheapo electronic scales I use to Weight Sort and even moving my hand by them quickly is enough to "confuse" them for a bit.

Yep same here.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had trouble with my Pact dispenser metering IMR powders (sometimes the powder will "leak" by the tube) and as mentioned above, the slightest air current will confuse the scale as will a nearby fluorescent light or electric motor (such as an A/C condenser unit).

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big--you might want to inform PACT of your leaks I am sure they would like to fix that-- I load a few IMR powders and do not have that problem-- in fact it stubbornly fails leak with the IMR, WIN, HODGON, ALLIANT, or VIHTAVUORI powders I use-- flake, spherical, or extruded -also--any scale will vary if you blow on it or your AC does-- as for electronic interference --place a radio--or TV--on the same circuit and next to your scale--I bet you will not see or hear perfect performance from them --if you have the RF sources you mention in that area--why would the scale fare better? as always all users of electronic scales should ensure that they let the units warm up for a sufficient time before use.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, If I had an old Glass Fish Tank, I do believe I'd try placing it on it's side and then put my El Cheapo electronic Scales inside it. That should cut down on the Air Currents.

Huuummm, it would also make a nice Dust Cover for your new Powder Dispenser, if it was the right size. Just set it down over the Scale.

I'm gonna check Tank $$$cost$$ this morning if I can remember it. old Mad

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core that is a great idea.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
I "DID" remember to check(I wrote it down on my List Big Grin).

The Fish Tanks were about $13, which isn't bad " if " the Powder Dispensor will fit inside one.

But, they also had all kinds of Sterilite(aka opaque Plastic) containers for $3-$5. The only question here would be if the Plastic would hold/generate "Static Electricity" from running the Dispensor inside it. Might be able to wipe it down with a Fabric Softener Sheet to prevent the Static if the Powder is drawn toward the Plastic. There is a small "Lip" around the Sterilite containers, but it could be set atop a couple of pieces of 2x4(telephone book, etc.) and the Lip would not hold it up at an angle.

I do believe I'd try one of the Sterilite containers first and if for some reason it doesn't work out, you could still get the Fish Tank(of the correct size) and have a Plastic Container for whatever.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest the plastic container, cut out one side as a window (leave the rim intact), and place the rim on the bench. I don't have problems from heat or AC, I faced my vent away from the bench when I hung the duct. I had to add duct work to count it as a room, when the room was originally added there was no forced air in it.

How's the new set up working?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had a chance to try it any more. I don't have the air movement problem as my duct is around the corner and don't blow very hard anyhow. I actually heat this room with a small space heater that I can turn off when throwing powder. As for a cover I just threw a rag over it. Problem solved.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite