New
Find
Notify
Tools

180/200 gr bullets for 358 Norma?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to take my 358 Norma Mag on my Dall sheep hunt in August. The only load I have used so far is with 250gr bullets @ 2700 fps. I though I might get more speed and a flatter trajectory with 180 or 200 gr bullets (Barnes X's). However I'm wondering if my 1:14 twist barrel will stabilize these bullets?. Anybody got any thoughts on this?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure someone will have a few thoughts as well, but I will reccomemd contacting Barnes via phone or web and asking that question. I am assuming you will be using their bullets of course. I think you will be fine with that twist for the 200g but it might be too slow for the 180s. I have no solid backing for this other than most 180g .308dia shoot well at a faster twist.As I am thinking about this though the added diameter might make the bullet fly fine. Final point. Contact barnes they will know for sure.

Gee I almost forgot, How do you like the .358 Norma Mag? I have been thinking about one a little bit over the last couple of days. Is there a significant difference between it and the .338 Win. ballistically? this is a very new curiousity and i haven't researched it out too well yet.

[ 07-30-2002, 08:31: Message edited by: Dave In LB ]

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I will call Barnes tomorrow. Will also try to make some loads and try them this weekend.
I'm pretty new with the 358 Norma, but so far I like it. My rifle is Pre-64 Winchester (formerly 30-06) that I basically put together myself. I have only used one load and that was with Alaska Bullet Works 250gr Kodiak bullets. Accuracy has been around 3/4" with 5 shot groups (and I'm not that great of a shot). Recoil is very manageble ( 8 1/2 lb rifle w/ 3.5x8 Scope).
The same day I finished the rifle, I took it out on a pig hunt in Central California (Paso Robles). The first shot was at about 125yds and the Pig took off like a Bat out of Hell. Had the power cranked all the way to 8X and lost the pig in the scope. Had to look over the scope to re-aquire him and put in the second shot at about 175 yds to put him down. When I gutted him I found the first shot had passed right through both lungs. Just nice little .35 cal holes all the way through. He would have gone down pretty fast, I think. The ABW bullets are heavy jacket bullets designed for larger game, but it was the only load I had available.
So far I think I'm going to like this caliber. It fits right in with my othet hard to get brass/bullets caliber that I already have. If I can shoot thoe 180/200 gr bullets I think it will be a very versatile rifle for me

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi there!

I checked twist rates out very carefully when I was planning my .358 Norma Mag. I visited a lot of websites and did quite a few calculations using Greenhill's formula and more recent approaches. If I recall correctly, even the long 250gr Barnes X bullet should be stabilized with a 1 in 12 twist (although not by much). So, the shorter 200gr Barnes or lighter should be stabilized with room to spare.

However, because I settled on a 1 in 12 " twist so that I could use bullets up to 310gr, so I can not verify this myself. A friend uses 225gr Barnes X bullets (which will need more twist to stabilize than the 2 bullets you are considering) and they are fine in his rifle with a 1 in 14 " twist. He also reports they have completely penetrated several moose from any angle so far.

I'd recommend that you try the Nosler 225gr Ballistic tip -- the jacket is much heavier than the smaller-calibre Ballistic Tips I've cut apart, so they probably won't fragment on any bone found in a sheep (bigger critters are another story: I use other bullets for moose). The .338 and .358 Ballistic Tip bullets are nothing like the .277, .284 and .308 Ballistic Tip bullets I've sectioned!

The Nosler Ballistic Tips are sure a finely accuracte in my Border-barreled Rem 700. They are also an extremely flat-shooting bullet: their ballistic co-efficient is .421 vs the Barnes X 200grain's which is only .346, and the 180gr Barnes X which is only .298. Even though the Nosler is a bit heavier and cannot be launched as fast, I consider it the best long-range choice.

Here are Barnes and Nosler's websites:

Nosler Bullets

Barnes Bullets

I'm sure both will respond to an email inquiry about their bullets.

Good luck on your hunt with that fine Norma mag!

jpb

[ 07-30-2002, 12:26: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Gentlemen -- There is another bullet out there for the .358's that you should try. The 225 gr. North Fork, for efryman who wants the flat shooting bullet. It will amaze you with it's accuracy. I shoot a .358 STA and have shot the Kodiak, Barnes, Swift Frame, Sierra bullets, and have found the North Fork to be the most accurate. I have used it in 7mm, 30 cal, .338 and .358 to this point. North Fork also makes a 250 gr. and a 270 gr. in the .358 bullet. It has a design much like the TBBC, a bonded core front and solid rear shank. It is a little longer like the Barnes, however is grooved on the rear to prevent fouling. [Wink]