New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ejector mark with factory load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .30-378 WBY Accumark 26",a serial manufactured rifle,I have ejector mark on all rounds loaded by "Norma" Weatherby ammnunition.I have not seen ejector mark with others calibers rounds before.(factory) The round is 180 Barnes X.I must presume with a good made chamber that could happen,with this load I cannot see pressure sign,if the chamber is not a good one,where is the problem with the Norma Weatherby round.When reloading if I have ejector mark,I have pressure signs,pocket primer enlarged,difficult bolt lifting...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
I have not used Norma brass, partly because I have read many times that it is very much on the soft side. If this is true, I can see ejector marks where they would not appear on harder brass. Also, I have read that Norma is thicker (heavier) brass. If so, this would mean slightly less case capacity, i.e., higher pressure for the same load as compared to thinner brass with greater capacity.

But this is only speculation based on what I have read, and you know what they say about what you read.

I too would be interested in a good answer for this question.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used Norma brass before, but I'd be on the safe side and take that as a pressure sign.

I know Weatherby loads their ammo pretty hot, but that doesn't seem normal to me from any factory ammo. Maybe your rifle has a tight chamber, tight bore or somethings wrong with it?

Is this the load they advertise at 3450? Did you chronograph it?

------------------

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Ejector marks can also be due to other causes, such as a slightly too-long ejector, which does not completely enter the bolt face when the bolt is closed...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon A;it is the advertized one,I chrono the rounds at 3356 f/sec.Reloads up to 3325,no sign of ejector mark.RELOADS AT 3350 I HAVE PRESSURE SIGNS,FIRED AT 40-60F,I PREFER NOT SHOOTING AT HIGHER TEMP...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it safe shooting the Norma ammunition above 60F,what about the wear of the barrel.Is annyone of you has ever encountered ejector mark with factory ammunition...

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Welcome the Weatherby word!!!! I have had 1 257, 2 270's, 2 300's and 2 378's all WBY mags factory rifles and I have worked with a bunch of others. ALL produced the same results with WBY factory ammo. THIS IS NORMAL!!

------------------
"Hope for the best.....Expect the worst!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pop.Is their cases are just a little to soft or should I fireform the cases with let say,going 10 grs lower than minimum,after that going to regular safe loading method...

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Here is the average weights of 30-06 brass I have on hand:

Norma: 183 gr
IMI: 198 gr
Rem: 200 gr.

These weights include a spent primer.

In my experience with Norma brass (30-06 only)it has more capacity than many others.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought but make sure your chamber is free from any oil left over from cleaming.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
fwiw-we chrono'd that same factory load in my friends sako 30-378 at 3350. I can't remember if we saw ejector marks or not.
One thing about those loads--they are almost always near max. I wouldn't worry about shooting them unless you lay them on your car hood in 90 degree weather.