THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    First time working up loads at the "range"...questions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time working up loads at the "range"...questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took my new -'06 to my mountain range and enjoyed my first day ever of working up loads with a chronograph. I have been shooting for many years but have enjoyed handloading the about the past 5 years. Today was the first day shooting my -'06 with worked up loads with a chronograph. Problem is I think I'm hooked now.

Results:

Winchester M70
Classic Sporter LT

180gn Barnes TSX Ave: 2568 fps
59.5 gn RL-22
Federal 210 ES: 19 fps
Winchester case
SD: 8 fps

Is this a reasonable result?

What is a meaningful ("good") ES and SD?

Is there a good source for learning about handloading for hunting purposes and understanding reloading statistics?

BTW, I really like my new Pro Chrono. Very easy to use right out to the box. Very pleased with results during sunset with varying shadows.
Registered a thrown rock to test and every shot fired.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I use ES as an indicator only. While working up a load, ES generally comes down as the load reaches its 'optimum' band. Generally the best groups are found around the lowest ES, but not always. A 'good' ES is relative to the ES readings from the other loads only. If you can't get below 50fps or so, you may want to try a different powder / primer, but there are no absolutes. If there IS an absolute, it would be the group size. How were your groups?

SD only really becomes meaningful with shot strings of 10 and more.

Hope this helps. Nah, it probably doesn't Roll Eyes

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Meaningfull, maybe. Lower es & sd only mean something if it groups.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You SD and ES is EXTREMLY LOW for smokeless. Very hard to attain. I have to agree that it might not be the most accurate load though. Too much depends on the match of the bullet to the twist and the velocity it needs. You also have to factor in barrel vibration.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote