New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with Lyman?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a .431" H&I cast bullet sizing die from Lyman. It measured .435". I sent it back a few weeks ago and haven't heard a thing from them. I tried calling and hung up after being on hold for 10 minutes. I tried sending an e-mail from their site and it wouldn't go through. I cannot contact them. Had similar problems last time I bought a Lyman product. Don't believe I'll be buying anymore.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I've had more problems with Lyman dies than any other manufacturer, and refuse to buy any more.

On the other hand, they also make some of the best accessories (their little tool kit is great), and, their "M" stepped expander for cast bullets is indispensable.

They're an enigma.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with a Lyman Expert kit when I was 17. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread even though bread has come sliced since before I was born. As I aged and aquired equipment from other companies I realized how much Lyman sucks. I still want to like them though because they do have some really excellent products. Their case trimmer is top notch if you're into convenience but not huge volume. Their No. 55 powder measures should be donated to our national arsenals to be used as shrapnel for bombs. You get the idea. Its a love/hate relationship. Lyman is a cruel mistress.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
by far the worst customer service dept. in the industry!!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hi-Wall>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by pjh421:
Their No. 55 powder measures should be donated to our national arsenals to be used as shrapnel for bombs. You get the idea. Its a love/hate relationship. Lyman is a cruel mistress.

Paul

Already having two measures from other manufacturers I bought a No 55 Classic for Black Powder Cartridge. I don't reload for BPCR anymore but use the Lyman 55 Classic for all my reloading now - love the drop tube set up.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just acquired a #55 measure of which the operating handle is missing (broken off the casting). Sounds like I shouldn't bother calling Lyman. Anybody have any fix-it suggestions or should I call them?

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys have against the #55 powder measure? I bought a used one for $30 and it works great with all of my powders, very accurate and easy to set-up once you figure it out. It works good for what I need, maybe in the future I'll invest in something better, but not right now.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Hi-Wall and Yardbird: I'm glad you guys are getting good results with your powder measures. I had two of these and neither would throw the same charge weight twice. Yes, I tried the knocker combined with the improvement of my handle operating technique and even put baffles in the hoppers. It was so bad that I wouldn't use them without wanting to weigh every charge.

Once you give in to that paranoia what's the point of using a measure? I get more consistency with the Uniflow and, using WW231, get absolute consistency with the Dillon powder measure.

To Sonofagun: Get an oxyacetaline torch and a brazing rod. Take the hopper off and remove the rotating assembly. Wait, that's a little severe. Depending on where the fracture is, you might be able to drill the operating handle and screw on a metal splint. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the fine folks at Lyman customer service but I wouldn't be above calling them. You might have to pay a little for parts but hey, if it gets your powder measure up and running, what the heck?

This sounds like a good opportunity to plug RCBS. All you fellow Lyman enthusiasts bear with me.

A friend of mine received a box of reloading equipment from his buddy who had just passed away. He knew I was a reloader and gave it to me. Inside was a Uniflow, rusted solid. I took the hopper off and let the measure soak in diesel fuel for a week. This should have loosened it up a bit but it didn't. I called RCBS to see if I could have it repaired. I knew nothing of their warranty policy at that time and was expecting to have to buy a few parts and pay for labor. Jean Riley told me to send it in, which I did. I received a brand new in-the-box Uniflow with all the usual accessories. I was floored.

A bit later I purchased the small and large micrometer screws for the Uniflow. Being an idiot, I didn't realize that the small screw fits into a different rotor with an equally small chamber. In other words, it doesn't work with the standard Uniflow rotor.

I again called RCBS and explained my dilema, prepared to purchase the needed parts. Jean sent me the correct rotor (at that time a $20 part and a solid chunk of steel at that) at no charge. Next, I bought a used Uniflow at an online auction for $24 and set it up for use with the small rotor and micrometer screw. I get very consistently measured powder charges with both of these units.

The shear area on the Uniflow is less than that of the Lyman No. 55. Yeah, I know all about lining up the sliders on the Lyman to form a deep cavity with a small shear area but the Uniflow just works better. Like any hand-operated powder measure, the Uniflows don't like extruded, stick-type powders. I can live with that.

The Dillons don't do their best work with these powders either but that's why we have things like the RCBS Powdermaster/scale combination. I can't say enough good things about the Powdermaster or RCBS customer service.

They rebuilt a case trimmer piece by piece for me until it worked with their neck turning attachment. Heck its not even the same trimmer, now. Its all new parts, including the frame casting.

I want to like Lyman. The more competition there is among manufacturers of the stuff we buy, the better stuff we get and the lower are the prices. The Lyman Expert kit served me well for many years.

I've got a Lyman carbide cutter installed in a custom shaft for my RCBS Trim Pro motorized case trimmer. For some reason, RCBS doesn't want to sell carbide cutters. I have dulled many a high speed steel cutter on the Trim Pro while rehabbing military brass. It was getting to be annoying. I didn't want to have to buy a $135 Lyman case trimmer just to be able to use the carbide cutter. There, I admitted it. RCBS isn't perfect. Lyman would do well, however, to attempt to emulate them.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
>Like any hand-operated powder measure, the Uniflows don't like extruded, stick-type powders. I can live with that.

I have a hand operated B&M Powder measure that absolutely loves extruded rod powders. 4064, 3031, 4895, 4350, it takes em all

D

[ 03-29-2003, 19:40: Message edited by: Darren ]

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Uniflow is incredibly cosistant with plenty of powder in the hopper, it just hates my main powder, IMR4895. I will just keep on crunching.

I like Lyman customer serviceRed Face
They are fast, cheap, polite, and answer my email.

[ 03-29-2003, 21:30: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote