Find
Notify
Tools

to crimp or not to crimp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted
That is my question. i am starting to get some good results from my reloads in my 308 and my 270 is coming along quite well also. I have found a place where i can get crimp dies from lee for both those calibers and my 300 win mag very inexpensively. my question is will it help. I know it helps to build up the pressure , but do I need that? I am trying to load for accuracy ove long ranges so every little bit would help. So I await the word from the reloading experts.Thanks

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have obtained one-hole 100-yard accuracy with several of my own hunting rifles over the last 20 years, and have never crimped any of the handloads.
The only reason I can see (maybe) for crimping a rifle round is if it is going to be loaded into a semi-auto, and I suspect that is why commercial ammunition is crimped. For some reason I feel like those loads might need to be crimped, but I have no factual evidence of that.

And for years, Speer and Lee have been at it, Speer saying using a factory crimp die from Lee would deform a bullet, and Lee claiming no such thing... I think if I got the accuracy I wanted w/o crimping, I would spend the money I was going to spend on a factory crimp die somewhere else...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Benchrest shooters rely on controling neck tension to get consistant bullet pull. If crimping would aid accuracy and achive their desired end I think they would do it and save alot of time and fuss.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
If you have a chance to get some, do it. It does not significantly increase pressure and does not degrade accuracy, IMO & others. It does add to your confidence that the bullet will be where you seated it the first time.

Benchresters have special dies set up just for their guns and usually load single shot so they do not have to worry about carrying shells around in their guns, recoil, and rough treatment of shells.

Some reading

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../782102862#782102862

I typically put a light to medium crimp on mine by adjusting the die so that the gaps in the top do not close all the way. I think it leads to consistent bullet release.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Lee crimp die come with a set.
Tried it and couldn't see any benifit, but it was one more thing to worry about, ie HOW MUCH pressure to use?
But if you like fiddleing, go for it.
They tell me a placebo is worth about 40% Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I use them and love em'.

Has made several of my loads do better which, I believe is do to more consistent starts. Neck Tension alone is too iffy w/ most run of the mill brass. I've tried neck tension and found some bullets to be seated loosly and others tight even though the brass was prepped in the same fashion. I use very light crimps in my paper punchers and alittle stouter crimps on my hunting rigs.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunz:
That is my question. i am starting to get some good results from my reloads in my 308 and my 270 is coming along quite well also. I have found a place where i can get crimp dies from lee for both those calibers and my 300 win mag very inexpensively. my question is will it help. I know it helps to build up the pressure , but do I need that? I am trying to load for accuracy ove long ranges so every little bit would help. So I await the word from the reloading experts.Thanks

I crimp all my ammo and usually crimp pretty hard. I've developed loads that group to .5 of an inch (in 30.06 and .308) .338 sub moa, 45-70 to 1.5 inches, and a 35 remington to just over one inch.

I crimp all of these bullets, and find that if you follow best practice and seat to just off the rifle lands with a good tight crimp you are creating the best case for consistency in your ammunition.

Carmelo Lisciotto
www.WorldShooter.com

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
gunz

this topic always generates a lot of opinions, pro and con. try it, if it works for you ya got the world by the tail. if it don't stop worrying about it.

i only received a benefit by crimping on one round, 22 hornet loaded with lil gun. i have used it on other rounds crimped and uncrimped and seen no significant changes.

i have found that some folks who crimped got a little over zealous with the pressure. i know several years ago some ammo companies crimped their ammo.

i would study the results if i were using thin jacketed bullets also.

good luck.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Wow alot of info here. I think after reading this is varies by gun and personal preferance. I will try a few and see how they work for me. i will post my results just for what its worth kinda thing.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote