Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

subsonic 30-06 sprg.
 Login/Join

posted
I need loading data for subsonic loads in ruger m77 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars,
I would check the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. I believe it contains subsonic "gallery" type loads for the '06 using fast-burning pistol powders like Red Dot and Unique. If you can't locate one, give me an email and I'll try to dig mine out for you....
What weight bullet are you using?
Wren

Posts: 27 | Location: Athens | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sub-sonic is going to be tough to find in a reloading manual. Two things are important. Lead bullets only; driving a jacketed bullet out of a barrel will be a "new" experience you don't want. And fast pistol or shotgun powders in very small doses. There are several internet sources that are good; and many that aren't. Do a search on low velocity or sub sonic loading's.

[ 11-29-2003, 08:22: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some 165 BTs load with 10.0 gr of UNIQUE but, have not gotten to the range yet.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 5grs of red dot with a good heavy cast bullet well give you some where around 800 fps.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been on a quest for a subsonic load for my 308 for the last 6 months. Here is what I have found:
Do not buy HJ subsonic, it will not group worth a shit and he will steal your money
EBR is real good stuff, but will cost you 1.50-5 bucks per round
I bought some EBR, HJ, 300 Whisper etc. all of them had about 8.7g of some kind of ball powder with 180g-220g bullet.
The load manual for the 300 Whisper uses a lot of H110.
I bought a Ruger 77 1:10 just for load testing. I took me a couple months, here are my results:
Do not use over 180g bullet in subsonic out of a 308, unless you have a 1:8(I have one in 300 Whisper) 1:10 180g is max. 1:12 will not work so well with 180g subsonic
round nose works better.
If you have 1:8, you are o.k. for up to 240g
Make sure your primer hole are uniform
Make sure your primer pockets are square
Use between 8.7-8.9g H110 or similar powder
a Lee Factory Crimp works best.

Point your rifle in the air before you shoot. The powder will sit in the same place, otherwise you will get some vertical stringing.

I am getting 1-2" groups at 100 yards.

I am trying to get reduced capacity cases, but no one seems to be able to tell me where I can buy some.

[ 12-01-2003, 07:20: Message edited by: usma89 ]

Posts: 6 | Location: texas, usa | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use Blue Dot. Loads within the 10 to 15 grains of blue dot with 110 grain SP are a favorite of mine. The recoil is almost like a 22 rimfire.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usma89:
I am trying to get reduced capacity cases, but no one seems to be able to tell me where I can buy some.

Here we go, http://www.samereier.de/Ladetabelle%201.htm , but only in German.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried any filler in the cases. Maybe Dacron it would most likily keep you from haveing to hold your gun up in the air before you shoot it. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Lars:

Check out the Lee reloading manual. He has a section in there that describes how to make reduced loads.

I don't know if it the section is in the new version of the manual that recently came out, but it is in the previous one.

He gives an example of shooting reduced loads from his '06 into his fireplace.

Check it out, it is the only source for reduced loads that I have heard about.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote