Notify
Tools

338 Win Mag loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Well I finally broke down and got one.

It is a Savage 116 FHSS and I got it for a great price. I mounted a 2x7 Leupold LR (with the dots) and I bought some 210 Partitions and 200 grain accubonds. Only bullets I could find at the time. Anyway any recommendations?

TIA

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 and Fed mag primers. I shot a lot of 210 gr partitions before switching to the 225's. They shot great for me. You should find the "sweet spot" for your load right up near max. The only reason I switched was because I wanted to try the 225's. Either way, life is good.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 210 gr .338 NP has a great reputation. Many people use it in applications that would normally call for a heavier bullet in this caliber. The 200 gr. Accubond should also do fine for everything you might shoot, up to and including elk.

IMR 4350 and RL 19 are very frequently recommended for the .338, but I've found the slower H-4831 to do beautifully in this caliber. It will take nearly a full case with the 200 grain bullet, but velocities will be high, velocity spreads will be low, and accuracy usually excellent.

If you want to use "magnum" primers, fine. If not, fine too.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
No warts on either of these bullets (210 gr NP or 200 gr. AB) w/75 gr. RL19. My 116 shoots 5/8" five shot groups using Fed. 210's, @ 2900 fps. and either bullet performs very well on both WT deer and nilgai.

An added bonus is POI with either bullet is within 1" @ 100 yds in my rifle.

This is a max load in Hodgdon's book so work up to it gradually, as usual.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An added bonus is POI with either bullet is within 1" @ 100 yds in my rifle.

Forgot to mention: Similarly, the 225 Nosler Partition, 225 Accubond, and 200 Ballistic Tip all shoot to exactly the same point of impact in my .338. Two bullets, even of the same weight and shape, rarely shoot to the same POI in any of my other guns, so I find this somewhat extraordinary, and as hm1996 says, a "bonus".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fine selection all around. BTW, my favorite load is a Fed. primer, 73.0 grs. of Rldr-22 and a 225 gr. Northfork seated about 0.010" off the lands. NF's are expensive but I find them more accurate than a Partition and work as good or maybe better. They cost more but you're not gonna be shooting a box a week at the range either. Use a less expensive bullet for that. Just my thoughts and enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx guys

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Forgot to mention: Similarly, the 225 Nosler Partition, 225 Accubond, and 200 Ballistic Tip all shoot to exactly the same point of impact in my .338. Two bullets, even of the same weight and shape, rarely shoot to the same POI in any of my other guns, so I find this somewhat extraordinary, and as hm1996 says, a "bonus".

Nice to know the 225's also shoot same POI. I shot the 225 AB for a while but it was a bit more bullet than I needed for WT deer so dropped back to the 200/210's.

The 225 AB's were extremely accurate in my 116, also.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will be loading some RL19 this weekend with the 210's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
F215's & 74.5g of H4831 make Nosler's 250 grain partition fly straight and true.

Fact is I haven't found a real bad combination in the 338. It has to be one of the easiest calibres to load for...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the 210 NP for years and killed both Elk, numerous nilgai and hogs. They hate it!
Try 72g of Imr 4350, Fed 215. Chronos 2900 and is NOT difficult to shoot.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote