New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Presses? 2 scales?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are 2 single stage presses a big benefit? Are 2 scales helpful for consistency/safety?

I was thinking about buying a RCBS Master Reloading Kit to compliment my Forester Co-Ax and possibly buying a second beam scale. I have no other equipment yet and thought the accessories in the kit would be a good base to start with and the press would be a bonus. If a second press wouldn't be a big benefit or 2 scales are unnecessary, I'll just buy the components individually.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Are 2 single stage presses a big benefit? Are 2 scales helpful for consistency/safety?

Depends on what you want, can afford, and have room for.

A biggy for me was haveing my brother, and or grandson reload at the same time I do.

As to a second scale for just myself, I really like the balance beam for trickle chargeing and the digital for weighing random weights.

For a second press, pistol reloading really does benifit from a progressive. Either that or finding a source of cheap ammo and forget the brass at the range when shooting an auto.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer to have a digital scale as a second backup unit. It is always handy to have a second press but it is not really nessesary. Again, why not get an inexpensive progressive as your second reloading press. Have fun deciding!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
As for the presses, in addition to a Coax I use another single stage preess for at least one thing the Coax can't do. You can't use a neck reamer die in a Coax and if you do any reforming of cases requiring this, a conventional press IS essential. In addition to this, another press is convenient to have set up to pull bullets when necessary. It IS convenient to have, especially when seating bullets for different depths. If you seat one too deep, pull it out a bit, readjust the seating die, and move on. I use two presses ALL the time.

As for scales, two are probably a waste of time though I have 4 set up to use, two electronics, and two beams. I seldom use the beam scales any more and can't recall the last time I did. Probably a few years ago. The electronics are far faster and more accurate. For a time I double weighed charges on the electronics for my 'security' and confidence, but because of their consistency and precision, I found that to be a waste of time.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote