THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like Lapua Brass..but Norma in 22.250?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since Lapua doesn't make 22-250 brass, but Norma does, how do you guys feel about Norma brass? I've heard it's "soft"? I bought a wonderfully accurate 22-250 from fellow AR member Itrap4u, accurate enought that it might be worth trying some premium brass but I'm out of my strike zone when Lapua isn't in the picture.....Norma is DAMN expensive too...

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Norma in 22-250 for a few years and have averaged 7 - 8 reloads per case. They are soft but have great uniformity. Unfortunately I can't find any more and have just bought some Sako cases. They were very expensive, time will tell how they perform but I have weighed a few and there is little or no variation.
Cheers
Ed

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting Norma through my Cooper 22-250. I've found it to be very consistent in weight, but I was unimpressed with neck uniformity. At least half my raw cases failed to mic out at less that .001 neck wall variation. On the other hand the variation was considerable less that the Winchester brass I am currently working with for a Kimber Montana. I neck turned the cases and brought them all within .0005. My rifle routinely shoots in the mid .3's.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with winchester sorted brass. A little luck at times has to be on your side when purchasing winchester, but the last lot I bought for my 22-250 was excellent. I have a custom fast twist douglas on a 788 action and it shoots the 69 grain SMKs in the .2s. I would say buy a few winchester, rem, and norma (cabelas has them in a box of 50) . Use which headstamp is most accurate. I did not find superb accuracy until I played with seating depth (settled on .01" off lands) and adjusted powder weight by .2 grains until satisfied. I personally won't buy norma right now, but in the future I may since my friend has had excellent luck with it.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote