Find
Notify
Tools

Small Base Dies for .358 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Anyone know if I'll need a small base die to reload for a BLR? I've owned BLRs in .243 and .308 and they both worked better with a small base die. What about the 358?

Thanks for your help.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brother has one, regular dies have been working fine--
RCBS btw

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded for 3 different .358's, including a BLR, and never found a need for small base dies. As a matter of fact, I've never used small base dies for any caliber.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If your reloads chamber correctly and easily then you don't need small base dies. They are for those odd situations where you want more slop in the head area of the case to chamber relationship. You'd have to have an awful tight chamber. Remember the case is going to expand to match the chamber when you fire it and having a small base to start with may do little to help a rifle with poor extraction. I have never had a rifle which needed cases sized smaller than SAMMI specs, except for specific custom cut chambers.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!