Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating depth
 Login/Join

posted
I've been reloading for several decades and have always seated my high powered rifle bullets just off the lands by .001 to .002 and do so as it has delivered accuracy of single hole groups that prior to this method wasn't the case. However, recently I was informed by an honest to goodness expert stating this is not the way to improve your groups but to reather seat to industry C.O.A.L. depth. He states all the bench rest shooters are now using C.O.A.L data now. Additionally, my loads are always near, or in fact compressed. I'm not experiencing any pressure issues what so ever and can not find plausable reason for his, as a matter of fact method. What can any of you offer to either attest to mine or his method.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Don't fix it if it aint broke! Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I am no expert to be sure but, I think originally bench shooters loaded into the lands to help keep the bullets enterance into the lands as straight as possible and improve ignition. Today they have improved their runout and use powders and loads that give very consistant velocities without high initial resistance. Loading back from the lands also helps prevent the occasional dupmed powder in the action that results from the range officer calling a cease fire and having to open the action on an unfired cartridge.
This is speculation, as I said I`m no expert.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What 303 guy said. I usually seat to 0.010" off the lands. When you seat that close, just make certain that you run all of your cartridges thru the magazine & chamber to check for feeding & chambering.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
decades of experience has taught you what you know and you are getting 1 hole groups sounds like you should be advising them.

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifles don't shoot best at the lands but, in this instance and for YOUR rifles, it seems YOU are the "expert"!

I question your other expert and suggest you do too. I'm no expert but I know better than what he is telling you for a couple of reasons. First, few, if any, serious BR competitors shoot factory cartridges and SAMMI provides NO specifications for wildcats. Second, all serious BR rifles have custom chambers and throats as specificed by the buyer so no such standards could possibly apply.

The 6mm PPC chambers in some factory sporting rifles are NOT cut to the same dimensions as those used in serious BR. And no serious BR gunner would even try to succeed in match shooting with any factory rifle, no matter the chamber it may carry.

You are doing good. Few of us can even equal what you're obtaining now, much less beat it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gamestalker:
I was informed by an honest to goodness expert stating this is not the way to improve your groups but to reather seat to industry C.O.A.L. depth. ...
Hey gamestalker, Welcome Aboard!

I'd suggest your "expert" is very concerned about one day having to shoot against your groups. Basically, he either didn't understand what you are doing, or he is Full-of-Beans.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's that Bertrand Russell quote that 458Win (Phil Shoemaker) uses as a signature line?