New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnum primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was contemplating buying some custom bullets from GS.
He advocates magnum primers in all loads.
WHY?
what advantages do they have, and do they increase pressure?
what would happen if I used them in my standard loads that are near to max?
many thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Depends on what caliber and what powder you are useing. I seldom use magnun primers in anything unless using full charges with ball powders and then only sometimes. For instance.... trying to get maximum veloicity out of my .223 with W748 I got real wide vel spreads with std. primers. Fixed it with CCI 450 primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Many moons ago when my 9.3 was new I bought some (1000)federal 215m which are about the hottest mag primer out. I then realised that I didn't need them.....

I use them with 80gr bullet and vvN160 in my 6mm rem and 150gr bullets and vvN160 in my 7x57. Both these rounds shoot great with this combination and have noticeably less muzzle flash than with standard primers. I am in effect shifting the powder burn rate from being like IMR4831 to something closer to IMR4350.

You really will need to work your loads back up if you change primers - they can have a big effect.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magnum primers are supposed to give you a bigger, hotter torch on ignition. Thus increasing the rate of burn (thru more of it being lit on ignition) of your powder. They do increase pressure so you would want to drop back a bit on your loads that are pushing max and start over again. Many of your reloader books recommend magnum primers for ball powder loads but I only use them for belted cases. Another recommendation is for standard loads when hunting in extreme cold weather. I have never followed that advise either altho I have hunted in some pretty cold weather. If it is too cold for a standard primer to ignite a say 30-06, its too damn cold for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference in "magnum" and "standard" primers is the price.

The variation in flame, force, temperature, and duration between two brands may exceed that of "standard" and "magnum" primers of an individual manufacturer.

Even with a case full of more than 95 grains of WC 872 (an extremely slow ball surplus powder originally produced for the 20mm round), my ignition with "standard" primers has been flawless and muzzle velocity variation less than 20 fps.

Most generally speaking, the primer with the least force provides the best accuracy. This is, however, a broad generality and is usually irrelavent in larger capacity cases.

[ 03-23-2003, 03:51: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question...I use mag. primers for all my loads for a 300RUM, and 300Win mag...
So, I really DONT need them??????
I have several boxes that I purchased..
When do I definatley NOT want to use them???
...sakofan...Thanks!!! [Razz]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
My groups are better with Winchester Mag primers over the standard at least when its cold out (-20C and below). I am shooting a 300 Win Mag I use 72 grains of IMR4350.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff,
Used to be, the rule of thumb was:- over 50 or 60 graines of any powder, use magnum primers.
Other variable was ambient temperature or shooting temp. Magnum primers are much more reliable in cold temps. This was from Lyman 42(?)th edition in 1962. Eskimos first hand experience with polar bear loads as I recall.
SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<donny>
posted
i load and shoot alot for the 300 win mag.
i find that when i workup a load with a primer
say fed 215s i then try wlrm or cci's i find
i can srink my groups that is when i pick
the primer
donny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff,
When we make a recommendation it is always for a good technical reason. I appreciate your asking the question and some of the advice given above may hold true for old technology bullets but is not applicable to our bullets.

We recommend magnum primers because they produce more pressure on ignition than standard primers. The optimum situation with HV and FN bullets is to have the bullet seated touching the rifling and sitting on top of a very slightly compressed charge. The closer you get to this situation the better HV and FN will work for you.

HV and FN bullets are so light to engrave that the pressure from the primer will shift the powder charge and the bullet forwards on ignition. This means that when the powder starts burning the case capacity has increased (lowering pressure) and the bullet is already in motion.

The entire transition of bullet from the case through the throat and down the bore is smoothed out. Less vibration and spikes in the rising pressure curve translate into better consistency and tighter groups.

Most of the above and more can be found here.

Posts: 52 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use mag. Fed. 215 primers on 375, 416, 404 and up...My 300 H&H also prefers 215's over 210's...My 9.3x62 and 9.3x64's have always liked the 210....

You just have to try them in each rifle...

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gina Schultz:
Griff,
When we make a recommendation it is always for a good technical reason. I appreciate your asking the question and some of the advice given above may hold true for old technology bullets but is not applicable to our bullets.

We recommend magnum primers because they produce more pressure on ignition than standard primers. The optimum situation with HV and FN bullets is to have the bullet seated touching the rifling and sitting on top of a very slightly compressed charge. The closer you get to this situation the better HV and FN will work for you.

HV and FN bullets are so light to engrave that the pressure from the primer will shift the powder charge and the bullet forwards on ignition. This means that when the powder starts burning the case capacity has increased (lowering pressure) and the bullet is already in motion.

The entire transition of bullet from the case through the throat and down the bore is smoothed out. Less vibration and spikes in the rising pressure curve translate into better consistency and tighter groups.

Most of the above and more can be found here.

. . . and the ring on the barrel of the old Model 70 Winchester was a squeeze point to slightly size the bullet down as it passed through in order to increase velocity and accuracy . . .

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote